jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I am having terrible luck successfully keeping SPS corals in my tank. They survive and grow but the coloration sucks! My green slimer is more like a brown slimer, same thing with my green cap. Couple of my other sps look like the colors they're supposed to be, but not as vibrant as other peoples corals. I am using strong lighting (2 250 10k plus 2 110 watt vho superactinic). nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, phos, all are undetectable. What can I do to get better coloration?

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i too would appreciate better coloration from some of my SPS.
I also have undetectable Nitrates and Phosphates (using the Deltec/Merk kit)

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What size tank do you have

how much flow

what kind (if any) of chemical filtration do you use?

Note: There are different types of phosphate just because your test kit says 0 doesn't mean there's no phosphates.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
High concentrations of phosphates can cause corals to "brown out" so a little I feel would definitely have a negative effect of the coloration. There are different types of phosphate organic and inorganic. Also phosphate "bonds" to rocks, filter pads and such so if you do test your only testing the free agents.

I think I worded that right.

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Sean, I totally understand what you mean. But I dont want to end up purchasing another piece of equipment just to keep my phos. in check.

House,
I have been doing rigorous water changes. I mean 15% weekly ever since I got my RO unit back in January. I did see an improvement in polyp extension without a doubt, but not coloration. From some of the articles Ive been reading, I think my tank might be nutrient starved. I have so much flow, plus near perfect husbandry (I clean my filter socks every morning and every night and exchanged them every 3 days), weekly water changes, aggressive skimming and I feed my fish once every three days and I never feed my corals. I think that MIGHT be the problem.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
A GFO is something like phosban or rowaphos. Would you say the coral colors are a tan color, or brown?

Also, how long does it take for you to grow diatoms on your glass?

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You don't need to purchase more equipment look into using a chemical like Phosban to help remove phosphates. Nutrients could help as well but I would start by using some phosban or something like it put it in a slow current area of your filter. Do this for a month and see if you get some positive results. Keep up with water changes as well.

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Jackson, here are some pics
The green slimer has some white stuff coming out of some of the tips. Seems like if its expelling something.

My procilliopora and montis are looking decent (im stressing decent) but not these guys in the pics.

Attachments

• 000_1460.JPG
    000_1460.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 000_1461.JPG
    000_1461.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 000_1462.JPG
    000_1462.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 230

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
jawwad2004 said:
I took my water to the lfs and they tested it for me. Im pretty sure they were using the red sea labs test kit.

I just noticed this post. C'mon man!!!! test your own water! Get some salifert testkits ;) :) Red Sea testkits are crap and if your corals are brown you can be sure it's a nutrient problem, specifically phosphates. Like Sean said try using phosban. That will lighten your corals up.

Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: