wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
im about to start a hood for a 75 which is basically the same thing just a little deeper. If you want i can post pics of the progress as im doing it

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting are using MH or flourescent? I've drawn up an open canopy design to house VHO bulbs. The only thing is that I haven't built it yet, but you're more than welcome to look at the drawings.

[ April 07, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: jcurry ]

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
house of laughter the hood im building is for a dual halide setup, do you still want me to post once i get it going?

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to post a note of caution. Dont skimp on the wood ie: dont use pine. I not of the wood working type have lived and learned. It may sound like a good idea beacause of the light weight of this type of wood, It buckles and warp. The hood I made is still up 1 MH 2 PC ,However I will go ply or birch next time.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey 4Angel,

Thanks for the advice, I was just about to build a hood and was going to use pine. I do want to keep it light tho. Is ply and birch also light? Did you use any protective coating on your hood with pine? thx

rebels23

[ May 18, 2003, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both ply and birch weigh a good amount. The thickness of the wood will determine the weight. If and when I re-do I will go with ? pine just for the top. This will give support for the lighting.I would then go 1/4” ply for the sides and front.I think a good deal of thought should also go into what type of opening your hood will have. I have a front open and prefer this to a top open. Again this is a personal preference. To answer your question about protection I took the suggestion from a few folks on RO and RC and used an indoor outdoor spar urethane by MINIWAX. (clear satin.) I painted the wood a hi gloss brown then used the stain inside and out. Make sure to take your time and do a good job of finishing the inside of the hood you wont be sorry. Also there is a guy down on Canal St. that sells polished aluminum that you can use for reflecting light on the inside of the hood. There is also a guy who sell fans down there as well. (although you might do better on fans over at Comp. USA. They have cool looking fan guards to. Good luck.

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rebels23
Any wood is ok to use on your canopy as long as you seal every surface with paint, varnish or polyureathane. I used 5/4 pine for my canopy and it's held up well for over 5 years. The only problems I have had are the unpainted braces, which have begun to rot and the polyureathane finish on the inside of the doors has failed.
I think the type of wood you are going to use will depend mostly on the exterior finish you want (stained or painted). I recommend that you paint the interior with an oil based paint no matter what the exterior finish is going to be.

Also remeber to provide good ventilation. You must provide a way for the hot air to escape even with fans. The fans will only be able to push in as much air as is being let out.

[ April 24, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: jcurry ]

Magyk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am new to this forum however I will be posting my design and pics of my DIY hood for my 75 gal reef
I have VHO's 4 110 it will be very interesting. Anyone can e-mail me for ques

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BLING BLING.

These hoods ain't wack.

:D
2woodhoodstack.jpg

Img10lights.JPG

Img2%20hoods.JPG

Img40Llight.JPG

THIS ONE IS A 40 LONG, BUT is same dims as a 55 gallon except not as tall in height.

Img75galtop.JPG

A 75 gallon top I still have for sale. 150.00 and that price is a steal.

I use solid popplar wood as it is resistant to cracking and has a low swell ration with saltwater creep. It is fairly easy to work with, durable and can be stained in a number of finished and look good. I can make anything custom.

let me know if you want to save yerself a LOT of agervation.... ;) THe willingness to build a hood is one thing, but the tools, knowledge, and technique is completely another.

Magyk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hello everyone just finished my hood came out great would highly recommend making one if you like to keep busy. I will have pics later

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAHT ?

OK, so I have made some radical hoods before, but where are ya going with that design ?

are you going to use laminate over a sub frame ?

that thing looks large enough to be a Sarcophagus.

Halides I assume ?

hoep ya got Fiuerrrr einzurance....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: