fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to figure out how much sand i will need. how deep does a dsb need to be? how deep is yours?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ranges from 2" to 5", with an average of about 3.5-4". It's been that way for 9 years. IMO, a minimum is target is about 3". Anoxic layer can begin as shallow as an inch deep.

mutley29

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 12 inches but i don't use it as a rule

Only kidding, i've got 4 inches of sand and crushed coral mix on top of my plenums :wink:

Anton

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4"

It is really starting to get interesting!

I keep seeing all kinds of critters

Bryan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my fuge i've got my sand bed 8-10".
im wondering if that may be too deep?

Micky

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about 4" to 6" of southdown, but it's only been set up for about 5 months... Best of luck your your tank..

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O J Simpson":2dlhgq8p said:
in my fuge i've got my sand bed 8-10".
im wondering if that may be too deep?

It'll depend on who you ask :) I've seen public displays with sandbeds over a foot deep (some deeper for garden eel displays) and am not aware of any problems. There are those in the hobby that will suggest it's too deep and may encounter problems such as H2S production. But in my estimation, these problems are unlikely if there's enough nitrogen source and an active, healthy sandbed population.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard this before, but I am wondering if the maximum allowable sandbed depth may be a function of water depth.

any thoughts on that?

Bryan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: