turban

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this HLLE? See attached pic.

We have this FA for 7 weeks with 5 weeks in QT before transfer to DT.

He is eating well and very active but the holes doesn't seem to recover. water parameters are as follows:

NO3 = 0ppm, Am = 0ppm, ph =8.3, Alk = 10dkh

What can be done to heal these holes?

Thanks

Attachments

• fa_hlle.JPG
    fa_hlle.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,434

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turban,

Yes, if there is a similar lesion on the other side of the fish, then that is HLLE. In my Advanced Marine Aquarium Techniques book I list flame angels as only being "minimally susceptible" - but they do come down with it. Coral Beauty angels get it a bit more often, and the little flameback and argi pygmys rarely get it at all.
If you ask around, you'll hear dozens of proposed causes of HLLE, and just as many "cures". Three questions - did the flame angel show ANY signs of this before you moved it to the DT? Does either the DT or QT have carbon filtration, and what is the current fish species list for the DT?

Jay Hemdal

turban

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

Thanks for your reply on this.

The holes are almost symetrical on both sides of the fish.

The flame angel shows signs of the holes in the QT after we treat it with melafix for a fin tear. The fish doesn't response well to melafix and holes behind the eyes and gill cover appear and stop eating. The melafix treatment is stopped on day 2 with a 100% water change. The holes appear very rapidly in 1 or 2 days of melafix.

After a few days, The FA starting eating well again in the QT and remain in the QT for another 6 weeks. The holes in the gill covers recovered. So is the fin tear but not the holes behind the eyes. It is now in the DT for 2 weeks with a percula clown and a royal gamma. The FA seems to be the boss but does have occasional squabbles with the royal gamma. A major rearrangement of rocks is done prior to transferring the FA to the DT. The holes in the head seems to be getting worse in the DT compared to QT.

Chemipure is initially used in the QT to keep ammonia in check but it is replaced by using live rock later as the Chemipure doesn't seem to be able to keep Ammonia at 0 ppm. No chemipure or carbon in DT. Just a skimmer with live rocks.

The QT has a lot more diatoms than the DT and has longer lighting cycle than the DT. I am extending the lighting cycle in the DT.

Thanks

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turban,

I've never heard of Melafix directly causing head and laterial line erosion (HLLE) - I don't use it myself as there is not sufficient proof that it does much of anything. Chemi-Pure used to have carbon in it, I don't know if it still does, but carbon dust is one proven causes of HLLE. The only treatment other than avoiding carbon dust (= carbon fines) is to make sure the fish's diet is rich in vitamin C, and is also well-rounded. There is no proof that HUFA enrichment will help in these cases.
Royal Grammas also get HLLE fairly easily - but it may take a bit longer for symptoms to develop with that species. HLLE will not kill any fish, so never try any treatment that has a potential health risk associated with it.

Jay

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: