Cadiz.Jonathan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mr

Havnt been on in a bit do to some recent changes in life. Recently went thru a break up and ended up moving out was only able to get my skimmer and my DIY 24x24 leds not sure what else was thrown in the bag but I know those are in their. I currently I have a 55 gallon tank but it needs to be restarted in order to be able to keep corals. My delema is i don't have a rodi unit to do a restart I don't have a sump I don't have an over flow my LEDs will only cover one side of the tank. My funds are limited at this time but I really miss messing with my tank and this tank just looks pathetic. So the advice I'm looking for is what should I do? Should I sell the 55 gallon and go back to my nano since I have more equipment and going to the water store for a nano is a lot easier. Any one have a over flow their not using that's willing to give it away or sell for cheap? Can I trade my 55 for a nano cube? The 55 gallon dose have a t5 fixture on it. What advice could u give to get me back into this hobby and get me back on track? Idk maybe I should just chill for a bit untill money is better I do have the money to Mantain a tank, but it just sucks I love this hobby so much it's to addicting to just let slip lol. Thanks MR

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I would try to trade the 55 for a nano since ypi have equipment for it. It would be rough to get the 55 going correctly with limited funds. I'm talking from experience here. I don't have a tank right now because of money issues. Hopefully that changes soon! Good luck with whatever you decide to do

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A 55 is the most difficult sized tank to get to look good aquascaping-wise due to the narrow width. You are also likely not to get anyone willing to trade it for a nano. :(

It might be better to bide your time by saving up and collecting the items you will need to do a 1st class tank with used items..like a rodi and perhaps a rimless cube that your light will fit without having to change it.

Don't forget all of the other items you will need like salt & test kits and food and refractometer...etc...

A nice mid-sized cube could also be run without a sump or skimmer if you stay on top of water changes, so you might be able to trade/sell your skimmer to pay for the tank. Plus it would be eaiser to deal with down the road as you move forward in your new life.

As you currently have the 55 and a T5 fixture and the desire to get moving, you could purchase RO water from a lfs and start collecting your corals and maybe even rock for your future tank. If you avoid fish until you are fully set up & ready, it will stay cleaner longer. Make your first purchase a RO and also come on down to the swap and start dreaming of your perfect tank.

Sometimes a clean slate with good plans is a great place to be ;)

Cadiz.Jonathan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 55 is the most difficult sized tank to get to look good aquascaping-wise due to the narrow width. You are also likely not to get anyone willing to trade it for a nano. :(

It might be better to bide your time by saving up and collecting the items you will need to do a 1st class tank with used items..like a rodi and perhaps a rimless cube that your light will fit without having to change it.

Don't forget all of the other items you will need like salt & test kits and food and refractometer...etc...

A nice mid-sized cube could also be run without a sump or skimmer if you stay on top of water changes, so you might be able to trade/sell your skimmer to pay for the tank. Plus it would be eaiser to deal with down the road as you move forward in your new life.

As you currently have the 55 and a T5 fixture and the desire to get moving, you could purchase RO water from a lfs and start collecting your corals and maybe even rock for your future tank. If you avoid fish until you are fully set up & ready, it will stay cleaner longer. Make your first purchase a RO and also come on down to the swap and start dreaming of your perfect tank.

Sometimes a clean slate with good plans is a great place to be ;)

Thanks so much Kathy I will do that!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: