0   0   0
how does garlic help with ich prob?
and how do you use garlic?

is it true that a garlic a day will keep ich away? j/k

reefmutt1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use liqiud galic to mix with the food. I believe it works similiar to the way it does in humans when the fish ingests it it has to come out either in food waste or excreted through the scales. Supposablly the garlic works like an insectaside.....

nuff40

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to argue with anyone, but from what I understand garlic increases the slime coat the fishes produce, thereby preventing the ich parasite from attaching.

david

McReef1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AGREED, Brown Trout! The Kyolic Liquid from GNC works! There was a long detailed article here a couple weeks ago that proposed some reasons why garlic might work (I found it with a search). I just squirt some on the frozen food, as well.

Good luck!

McReef

slojmn1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying garlic, Kyolic garlic extract from GNC, as my Atlantic Blue tang popped up with what appears to be ich. He has a white smattering of dots on his body along with white larger spots on his pectoral fins, about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure if it is working as he continues to have the problems. It looks worse in the mornign when the lights go on and by late afternoon the spots are harder to find. He also seemed to be rid of it for a few days then it popped back up. Sounds like the life cycle of the ich. I am hoping he can fight it off with the help of the garlic. I am not sure what stressed him out a few weeks back. So far no other fish are showing any symptoms. I hope the garlic helps.

BBReefkeeper

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first fish I used garlic on got better in only a few days. Later on I treated another fish and it took 3 weeks. I still use it as a preventative measure once or twice a week. Haven't had any problems for several months.
Have Patience.
Bryan.

P.S. also make sure you have removed or stopped the problem that was stressing the fish out in the first place.

XXX

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slojmn,

I ran into the same situation as you once-spots coming and going. Hang with it, the garlic IME does cause the parasite to release it's hold which gives the fish some relief and enables it to gain strength and fight off the ich on it's own. I also fed my tang with vitamin soaked algae daily.

IMO feeding garlic continually when not treating for anything is not a good thing. No proof of this, but I am afraid it could somehow cause the garlic to be less effective when you really need it.

Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: