A

Anonymous

Just looked at Kent Marine's web site and found the listing of ions in Part A (Ca++). It says it contains copper.

Has anyone noticed any detrimental effects of using Part A of Tech CB? Why would Kent Marine, a well respected copany, put COPPER in their Ca additive? This doesn't make sense.

-Nathan

-----------------------
http://www.kentmarine.com/tcb.htm
Contents: Part A: deionized water containing the following ions:
calcium, chloride, magnesium, strontium, bromide, lithium, rubidium,
nickel, chromium, zinc, copper, cesium, iron, manganese, cobalt.
-----------------------

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 15 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I have used two part calcium/buffer system for a year and my tank did well. I saw know detrimental affects to anything. I'm sure the chemical engineers at such a company know what they are talking about. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Wow, that sounds like an awesome product. So you can keep Ich off your fish and maybe kill some inverts and corals. That's a complete product.

I feel kind of sympathetic to some of these chemical engineers under pressure to produce new products or improve products so the company can sell this stuff to unsuspecting customers.

Not flaming any chemical engineers, but I know how many companies operate.

I hope you can get more info on this product and get the low-down.

Good luck,
Keith

------------------
Visit Keith's Reef

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure they would actually put copper ions in there reef specific products, I think it's more a case of honesty on their part. Even the purest lab grade reagents have some contaminant ions in them but at such low levels they're probably less concentrated than in actual SW. Conclusion; I wouldn't worry about it at all.

A

Anonymous

FWIW, copper is an essential metal for many sea creatures. It is specifically included in many trace element supplements. The trick is to keep it available, but low in concentration, as is present in the ocean.

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

In defense of my fellow ChemEngineers, I'd argue that the amount you read about is simply a residual impurity from their feed chemicals. There's trace amounts of most common elements in just about all chemicals, even ultra high purity chemicals contain contaminants. The concentration is likely more important than the fact that it's there. Go back and take a look at the assay performed on CaCO3 media for reactors in AFM online, and you'll likely see that they contain Cu, As, Hg, Pb, etc. Again, the presence of these elements is likely an artifact of the manufacturing process, not a subtle attempt to slip a potential poison into our fish tanks.

[This message has been edited by Frisco (edited 15 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

Speedy reply from Kent Marine Tech Department concerning this question. Here is their reply to my question:

--------------------------

Nathan,

The copper content of Part A is a trace mineral. You could dump a whole
bottle in your tank, and this would not even come close to any kind of toxic
levels. Trace levels are usually .00?-.0000?, very minute.
If you need more information, please let me know.
Thanks,
John
Tech Dept.

-------------------------

A

Anonymous

Randy's right. Your tank needs copper (in SMALL doses). There are a multitude of copper containing enzymes and proteins in nature.

Essentially all of the elements are toxic in large doses.

A

Anonymous

Natural seawater contains every known element. Don't worry about a little copper like the Kent guy said.

You probably dose more coppper than that everytime you stick your hand in your tank after digging around in pocket change
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

nathan

I use Tech CB in a esv doser with no problems at all just good stuff.

Mfisher, never thought about hands in the pocket and copper. Thanks

David

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: