Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do more than 2 ocellaris get along in the same tank? I know that if they are 2, one get to be the female and they live (and breed) happily ever after. How about 3 or 4? Will the female have a harem? And if yes... will they breed just the same? How about true percula?

Thanks,
Mihai

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, it's never a good idea keeping more then a pair of Amphiprions in a tank unless the tank is big and has multiple hosts. Clowns aren't haremic (I don't know any protandrous fishes that are haremic, and logically it makes no sense for a female to keep a harem of males).

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":31rpqbif said:
Clowns aren't haremic

That's what I thought. I don't know why, but it kind of make sense when you think about the way they form life-long bonds and families. My question came from reading the info on the liveaquaria website (generally good info in my oppinion):

Percula Clownfish are wonderful fish to maintain in groups.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... CatId=1500

The same quote does not exist for ocellaris though.

Thanks for the info,
Mihai

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 oscellaris in a tank for a while (few weeks) and it didn't work out too well,,, 2 paired up and the other was left out of the club. It was always hanging around about a foot away from the other two but was never allowed any closer,,, was kinda pathetic.

I currently have 3 pink skunks living together and they get along fine,,, they sleep togther in the same anemone and swim around the tank together during the day.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns usually form exclusionary pairs. Some clowns are more sociable then others, and captive bred specimens tend to be more sociable then their wild caught brethrens. To err on the side of caution, I'd keep only a pair of clowns per tank.

The female reproduction function is more energy intensive then that of the male's. In other words, it takes a lot more energy to make eggs then it does to make sperm. That's why haremic animals almost always (I can't think of an exception) consists of one male to multiple females.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1vui3r5d said:
Clowns usually form exclusionary pairs. Some clowns are more sociable then others, and captive bred specimens tend to be more sociable then their wild caught brethrens. To err on the side of caution, I'd keep only a pair of clowns per tank.

I got two happy (tank raised) fellows, eating like pigs, I'm waiting for them to pair up.

The female reproduction function is more energy intensive then that of the male's. In other words, it takes a lot more energy to make eggs then it does to make sperm. That's why haremic animals almost always (I can't think of an exception) consists of one male to multiple females.

Oh, man this makes so much sense! I always wondered why.
Thanks,
M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3rofg5hd said:

Well there are some birds that do it, but in every (I think?) case the male tends to the chicks. I've never heard of any fish that do it either. Several clowns will share an anemone in the wild but there is only one male and one female as far as I know. The rest are sexually undifferentiated juveniles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: