liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this month's Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine, we have a mystery coral seeking identification. Can you identify this coral?

mystery.jpg

Please refer to this article in this month's Advanced Aquarist: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/5/neptune

Good luck!!! :D

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
natsak1":xzkl78sz said:
My guess is that it's a Mussidae Acanthastrea subechinata.

You may be correct. Julian Sprung wrote the following to me regarding this coral
With just one photo like this I can narrow it down to probably a species of Acanthastrea, possibly a species of Echinophyllia. I need to see it contracted to reveal the skeleton to give a more definitive ID.

Best Regards,

Julian

matter1331

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wait so long to check out this part of the mag. I was going to say acanthastrea echinata. We have some really nice rainbow ones at home right now, they're gorgeous!

Claeth

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with Julian that it is an Acanthastrea Echinata, but would require seeing the skeleton to correctly identify it's exact species.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll all be fairly suprised, when it turns out to be a Echinophyllia :D That was my first guess. It's hard to say, with out the feeder tentacles out, or a skeleton shot though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely NOT an ech or subech.

I'm with Gresham on the echinophyllia.

Peace,

Chip

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: