Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
MR,

My brother was breaking down his 28g nano and I figured this would be the perfect start for a QT tank.. My question is, how should i set it up? What do i run? Was figuring on running cupramine in the tank.

any advice on start up and what should be used is greatly appreciated. Was going barebottom, and I need some sort of rock or something in tank for hiding. Tank is equipped with an LED retrofitted.

Is this to small of a tank for QT?

Thanks all,
Mike

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I'd use it as hypo salinity treatment. drug free, and the biological filtration that develops in there would after a while be resistant to salinity swings, much like an estuary and tides.
Personally, I use a 20 gallon bin which I filled with 5 gallons of regular strength seawater, which dilutes to 10 gallons on hypo salinity water.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If I had the room in my apartment I would set up a tank transfer QT. Basically you transfer the fish between two tanks for a 2-3 week period every two days replacing the water each time. This interrupts the life cycle for marine "ich". You can do this with UV and you observe the fish for the QT period. If you see signs of other disease you can treat accordingly.

It can be done with 5 gallon buckets, a sponge filter, ammonia treatment and a heater, but I just worry that the fish would be really stressed out in such little water, especially if more than 1 fish.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
If I had the room in my apartment I would set up a tank transfer QT. Basically you transfer the fish between two tanks for a 2-3 week period every two days replacing the water each time. This interrupts the life cycle for marine "ich". You can do this with UV and you observe the fish for the QT period. If you see signs of other disease you can treat accordingly.

It can be done with 5 gallon buckets, a sponge filter, ammonia treatment and a heater, but I just worry that the fish would be really stressed out in such little water, especially if more than 1 fish.

yeah that seems quite stressful.. I had a small 12g QT way back when, but things have changed. taking this 28g from my brother and figured to set up a QT instead of another tank.

I'm just gonna set it up barebottom with a piece of live rock and then go from there on how i want to proceed.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I guess theres a million ways to skin a cat...or set up a QT.

Dont need much. Just run a pump for water movement and some sort of mechanical sponge either seeded from your display tank or set up the QT with a biological starter, I use Fritzzyme 9.

Bare bottom and a piece of PVC pipe or two for hiding spots. No need to treat anything at first..let them get settled, observe eating and swimming behavior. If u notice anything bizarre you can treat accordingly. Ick, fungus, sores...whatever can be treated as needed.

Just put 3 Lyretail anthias through QT. One was showing some signs of a fungus. After I ran treatment for a week...2 of the 3 I moved to display, 1 was still acting weird. It's still in QT but looking better and coming around with the eating. So another day or so and over to the display it goes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: