Do you follow a specific fish to tank volume ratio?

• yes, less than 1" of fish per gallon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think this rule is more a of how much a load you can have in your tank, bascially what the bacteria in your system can handle. Since we're running things protein skimmers, refugs and have sumps most system can handle a greater load than the 1" per fish per gallon.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think this rule is more a of how much a load you can have in your tank, bascially what the bacteria in your system can handle. Since we're running things protein skimmers, refugs and have sumps most system can handle a greater load than the 1" per fish per gallon.
I agree. There is no formula to tell you how many fish you can “have” in your tank. If your system is set up to process nutrients quickly, either biologically or mechanically or both….sky is the limit. Plus, feeding is an entire different factor.

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
I don't follow the 1" per gallon rule - your fish will let you know if you have too many. Fish that had co-existed peacefully until that last fish was added are now chasing each other and acting aggressively. Fish are territorial - if they feel their territory is being infringed upon they will chase other fish out of their space.

Timfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Like 12 1" damsels are anywhere close to the bioload of 1 12" tang. This is an excellent example of dogma trumping common sense. Been trying to point out the absurdity of that rule of thumb since I was keeping freshwater in the early '80s and using neon tetras and oscars as examples.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: