Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I love Manhattan Reefs but I wish the Forums Sections would move from High Level Topic (Example: General Reef Discussion) to more Drilled down sections like Reef Central (Example Lighting or Filtration). This way people would be able to perform more focused searches as well as more detailed discussing. Just a though.

Best Regards,
Jason Anthony Natal

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
There haven't been sufficient discussion on those topics in the General Discussion forum to merit their own forum.

Start some relevant threads and perhaps one day it can happen. :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Jason, you can search for any infomation you wish using the search and advanced search functions.
Once you have found a topic you are interested in, you can also look to the bottom of the page and find related discussions using the links provided.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
There haven't been sufficient discussion on those topics in the General Discussion forum to merit their own forum.

Start some relevant threads and perhaps one day it can happen. :)
Says you! I bet if you compiled a list of all threads ever they would warrant separate sections which could all still be listed on the main page. Already we have Advanced Reefs, which certainly doesn't have enough activity to warrant it's own section. Coral Farming, the bio one etc etc etc. I think the not breaking it down was a matter of choice.

I think it would be nice to have the posts broken down so that if one were looking for info on a certain topic, or just in the mood to read up on certain topics it could be done without the use of the search button.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Threads asking for a 'MH bulb that's not too blue or too white' or 'how long a photoperiod should be' would be the bulk of those discussions, Fred. :tired:

Altohombre

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do people always get defensive when a user suggests something. How about putting it to vote? Another site I was on we went through the same thing and now that we have more organized threads everyone is a lot more happy.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Honestly I think this site is extremely user friendly. As for the members.. :tongue1: j/k !!!

Seriously though, the search feature is set up so that it is easy to use, I am just terrible at using any type of search, google-handicapped as well... and for the most part I can find what I am looking for here using the search feature.

I think if the active members on the site were greater in numbers and the topics moved a bit quicker off the front page the suggestions would work very well. But IMO as I see the site here and now, I don't see a real need for the change.

When DBTC came to be and there was a need for a new 'tab' one was put in place. I think if the need was there that it would be put in place.

Just my opinion on the matter, may not matter much but WTH:eek:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
why do people always get defensive when a user suggests something.

Because I usually play Devil's Advocate :sgrin:

Innovationdevil01.jpg

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
People, People.... No need to get defensive I would say voting would be the way to go. Honestly I don't like search features. I would rather go to particular sections lets say Lighting and see what everyone is talking about that is how I stumble on some interested topics. Not going into genera reefkeeping and having to search for an thread on Filtration and having to go through various none related articles or better those that do populate based on searches. I personally would say take it to a vote since all the people against it are moderatos and all the people that would like to see it are the member base.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
who said this was a democracy? but i tend to agree that it might make things easier for those who are digitally challenged.

People, People.... No need to get defensive I would say voting would be the way to go. Honestly I don't like search features. I would rather go to particular sections lets say Lighting and see what everyone is talking about that is how I stumble on some interested topics. Not going into genera reefkeeping and having to search for an thread on Filtration and having to go through various none related articles or better those that do populate based on searches. I personally would say take it to a vote since all the people against it are moderatos and all the people that would like to see it are the member base.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Threads asking for a 'MH bulb that's not too blue or too white' or 'how long a photoperiod should be' would be the bulk of those discussions, Fred. :tired:

I would like to see categories.

1. To see an entire section with nothing but the same question asked over and over.
2. To NOT see the same question asked over and over.

People don't use the search function. It is easy but not as easy as going to the skimmer section. Also from a workload point of view, searching within the range of the "skimmer" section for all things "deltec" is easier then searching every post for "deltec" and getting back posts like:

"What color MH bulb isn't too blue or two white" with some obscure mention of deltec.

For example now this post will come up if you search for "deltec"

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/advanced-reefs/
this needs its own category? (I think it 100% does but not because of volume of posts)
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/book-club/
this needs its own category? (again I agree but the main page goes back to march)
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/
this needs its own category? (again I vote yes but it has no volume either)

My point here is these three forums have very few posts and I don't think anyone (Dean aside :) ) would argue that the shear number of posts require them to have their own category.

bigup!

Jasonanatal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Determination of a particular Forum Topic having it's own section should be based on the decision to have more focused conversion of a particular topic. Number of post are no way to gauge Forum sections. Just because someone ask about Cold Saltwater Species only once in a blue moom doesn't mean that it should be discussed.

In a small phrase you want to be informative with details and having everything grouped to a high level section such as general reef discussion doesn't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: