caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Fellow MR members, I have a dilema.

I really want to get some wave action in my 120 reef ready aga tank, and have roughly $400 bucks to spend. I am torn between the new tunze wavebox nano or the vortech mp40w. The tank is mix of LR/fish and some sps, lps.

I love the wave action that I saw from on youtube regarding the wavebox. The nano is much slimmer than the orginal.

Any opinions plus or minus for either would really help me through this process...

thanks James

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
IMO, a wavebox should be a supplemental add-on to existing internal flow. I wouldn't recommend using a wavebox for primary flow due to the fact that the pulses typically don't move water far. Carrying detritus far, hopefully into your overflow, and quickly & evenly distributing nutrients are some things a Vortech (good product), Tunze (Nano)Stream (what I use) or any other circ pump can do.

Speaking of which, I should be picking up my NEW Tunze Nano Wavebox today :) Oh joy!

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I agree with ed4, a wave box (i've only seen the regular, and not the nano) only has water moving left and right a few inches, not really circulating it around the tank. The vortech does a better job circulating the water. But I think the wavebox can make a bigger wave then a vortech, but I don't need my wave larger then 1" or it might splash out of the tank anyways. Although a vortech is quiet, its not as silent as a wavebox because you hear the motor of a vortech, especially if you're in a dead silent room in the middle of the night.

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I do have a recirculating pump ps4 titanium that pushes up through my refugium/sump below up to my two returns. Tank is a 120 reef ready setup. I think it is rated. 1440gph. Currently running 2 mod maxi jet 1200 on a wavemaker.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Please pardon the bad video quality. I used the "Video" feature within my digital camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKzpalhVYpchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKzpalhVYpcc

Initial impressions:

Good
-Polyps sway in rhythm (main reason I bought it).
-"Shakes out" detritus from rocks (a nice surprise).
-Virtually no noise.
-Much, much smaller then the full-sized Wavebox.
-Low energy usage.

Bad
-Sloshing sound of water down the overflow.
-Price :(
-Still kinda unsightly inside the tank.
-Night mode shuts off the wavebox. It would be nice if it stepped the power down to the pump, similarly like the way the 7095 Mutlicontroller does.
-Potential stress & associated problems that is put onto the seams of the tank. It could be scary to some.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Ah the good old debate. I was faced with this debate when I was setting up my tank. I went with the Vortechs and will never go back for the following reasons:

1. No extra heat
2. More modes and flexibility - you can always add on more
3. Not a lot of space taken up in the tank
4. Battery back up -- BIG DEAL

Also the Vortech I feel pushes more water and has more random motions versus a wavebox with the swaying... which is cool but it can be achieved with 2 MP10's on a 4 foot tank and you still have the flexibility to use them after you "downgrade" or upgrade to a smaller/larger tank. Also... they hold resale value better =D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: