rhudgins

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am in puerto rico and have a few pieces of coral that i would like to bring back to new York tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with thos? Do you think i can bring The coral in ny carry on or should i place then in ny luggage? i am going to wrap then in wet paper towels, place then in plastic bags and then put in a cooler with a heat pack. Any suggestions for thos trip would be great! i want to make sure these beautiful pieces survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
keep them in the carry on ...the temp in the luggage compart is not temp controll just hope when u get here u get dont hassel at jfk or what ever air port u come in at good luck hope ur stuff make it

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Wet paper is not going to do it. It has to be in water. Your best bet is to put it in a styrofoam box. But it may be illegal and if you are cought, as was in the news today for someone bringing in fish, you may end up in jail or at least a hefty fine.

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

I dont think you'll be able to bring that on the plane anything liquid is not allow unless is medication and u prescribtion, Why dont you try shipping UPS or FedEx???I think thats the best way to do it.

dabo765

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I was going to do it before and was told that I needed to ask the airline to know if they allow it and that the ones the were ilegal to take were the local corals.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Does anyone have first hand experience traveling with coral on a airplane?
Have done this many times...from LA to NY. Pack corals in water,in clear bags, and double bag...put in cooler with heat pack, if possible (baggage compartments ARE climate controlled, not necessarily warm) Check in baggage at 'special handling/oversize luggage'...Don't remember if you go thru customs or agriculture check point from PR? that MAY be the problem

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Have done this many times...from LA to NY. Pack corals in water,in clear bags, and double bag...put in cooler with heat pack, if possible (baggage compartments ARE climate controlled, not necessarily warm) Check in baggage at 'special handling/oversize luggage'...Don't remember if you go thru customs or agriculture check point from PR? that MAY be the problem

I don't think there is a checkpoint in PR ... last time I was there ... I had to clear customs since I was coming from St. Maarten (French/Dutch owned) ... but past that I am pretty sure you can travel back and forth quite freely.

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The last time I was in PR the security/customs search your bags when going through the xray machine. They are very strict on certain foods including meat, fish and fruits/vegetables so I would imagine they would be for the corals as well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: