bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
hi guys
i have a yellow tang that i got from one of the members here, it was very skinny when i got it, and it eats anything i feed him, flaks, pellets, shrimp, sea weed, lettuce. i just don't know y its staying skinny.
can anyone tell me exactly what and when i should feed it that he should start fatting up a bit?

thanx guys!

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
IMO the more 'natural' foods, would be nori, and fresh caulerpa

+2 how often are u feeding it now? give it some nori paper--a nice size strip everyday and mysis shrimp (very healthy) for dinner. and then give it some time, itll come around in a month.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yup i would for at least a week and a half. when i got my naso he was pretty skinny and now is FAT!

i feed my fish twice a day. flakes in the morning(i have like 5 different types) and in the evenings they get either mysis or enriched brine shrimp. i do nori paper every other day.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i used to feed only mysis every day and it was still skinny. i guess the nori seaweed is what makes them fatter.
BTW u have a beautiful tank, i love the video!!!
the trick to tangs is their need for algae, meat (e.g. shrimp) only make up about 15%(guessing but its about that maybe less) of there diet in the wild. so beef up its nori consumption. ah thank u much ive worked hard on it, cause of my student status ive gone hungry just so i could get a coral or equipment. :shhh:

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Once you've seen these animals in nature, you have a whole new understanding of their feeding needs - tangs in general (at least, all the ones I had the honor of seeing in Hawaii) eat all day long!!! They forage for algae and other goodies non-stop. When I kept a yellow tang (before she outgrew my tank), I had nori in the tank for her all the time. She nibbled on it throughout the day. Twice a day she gorged on the same food I fed the rest of the fish (flakes, pellets, frozen mysis and Rod's food), but all day long she'd nibble at the greens that were available to her.

Go fatten up that fish! :) good luck!

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
does it haveto be nori? cuz i have something that they gave me in the store its called seaweed salad (green marine algae) is that any good?

yes its the same thing. just give him that everyday and he'll be PHAT in no time!

bereleah

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Once you've seen these animals in nature, you have a whole new understanding of their feeding needs - tangs in general (at least, all the ones I had the honor of seeing in Hawaii) eat all day long!!! They forage for algae and other goodies non-stop. When I kept a yellow tang (before she outgrew my tank), I had nori in the tank for her all the time. She nibbled on it throughout the day. Twice a day she gorged on the same food I fed the rest of the fish (flakes, pellets, frozen mysis and Rod's food), but all day long she'd nibble at the greens that were available to her.

Go fatten up that fish! :) good luck!

that sounds about right. i watched some videos of yellow tang in the wild, and all i saw is them eating the green stuff the whole day non stop.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: