Hi everyone, I've been reading that a CO2 scrubber helps keep pH up and it improves the way skimmer works. My pH used to drop on a regular until I read that leaving the window open can help keep it up. I've done just that lately but now it's getting cold and thought the CO2 scrubber would be a good alternative to leaving the window open. Also, the only one that I've seen for sale is on premiumaquatics.com (http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/MCU-CO2.html?fe_feedid=126). I read that the chemical that absorbs the CO2 is called sodalime which is a compound formed with sodium hydroxyde (lye) and calcium oxide (quicklime). I found a veterinary website that sells sodalime for $7.50 for a 3lb bag which is way cheaper than buying a $35 dollar replacement cartridge (http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/MCU-CO2-RONLY.html?fe_feedid=126). So I figured I'd make my own by using a common RO filter canister, a refillable cartridge and the sodalime that I found online and just running attaching my skimmer airline from the skimmer to outside with the DIY CO2 scrubber "filtering" the incoming air. Does anybody have any experience with this piece of equipment? Other comments are also welcome..

Last edited:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would have to see a store bought unit before I comment on your diy idea.

Air is a bit trickier than water when you are trying to get it to pass through a media evenly. It will take the path of least resistance and may not pass through the RO cartridge evenly.

Water also does this but to a lesser degree. So it may or may not work.

My guess is it may work but it will be less efficient than a cartridge designed for air flow and require media change more often.

It's also going to be difficult for you to determine how often to refill the cartidge.

If it were me I would be more inclined to buy the store bought device and figure out a DIY cartridge refill using the bulk media you found.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Wes said:
I would have to see a store bought unit before I comment on your diy idea.

Air is a bit trickier than water when you are trying to get it to pass through a media evenly. It will take the path of least resistance and may not pass through the RO cartridge evenly.

Water also does this but to a lesser degree. So it may or may not work.

My guess is it may work but it will be less efficient than a cartridge designed for air flow and require media change more often.

It's also going to be difficult for you to determine how often to refill the cartidge.

If it were me I would be more inclined to buy the store bought device and figure out a DIY cartridge refill using the bulk media you found.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Yeah I see what you mean about it passing through evenly. But as far as it being an RO cartridge, I think that's what it is, I mean at least from the picture I provided of the store bought one. And lastly, knowing when to change the media is very simple, soda lime is white but turn violet a it becomes exhausted, it says on the packaging and on a few things zone read about, which is the same exact thing as the store bought media

Sent from my iPod touch using Reefs

Thanks...that's exactly what I did on my own lol never saw anything to show me how to do it like the link provided but appareantly I got it right. And that media is just soda lime, which I mentioned already, which cost me 7.50 per 3lbs. We'll see how it works, I'm just waiting on the refillable cartridge and I'm good to go :) will post results on here if anyone is interested

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
put kalk in ur top off.

+1

This did wonders with my sump that is located in the basement in the laundry rooom where the gas dryer and furnace are located. In winter with close windows my PH at night was around 7.8 with Kalk it is around 8.2

I used Calcium Reactor and Kalk Reactor for my top off

how did this work out for you? I'm thinking about doing it for my tank as my ph right now stays around 7.85 during the day and drops to 7.70 at night. Kalk doesnt do anything for me at this point.

It's been pretty good for me my pH has been around 8.15 during the day now. I also noticed that my skimmer is skimming a lot better because after I feed now all the "junk" from the food gets taken out right away

cdamiano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
154   0   0
I have one in place for over a year now and it has been working well for me. Mine cost even less than the DIY post. I just took an empty 2 liter coke bottle and drilled a hole in the top of the cap and attached an air hose from my skimmer to the hole in the cap and then siliconed the area around the hose/cap connection to seal it. I then drilled a bunch of small air holes in the bottom of the bottle (small enough so the media can't fit through) and then filled the bottle with media and sealed the cap and that's it. I bought the media from here: http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/soda-lime-3-lb-bag/anesthesia-products 3lb. bag for $7.50.

Last edited:

ereefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I did see somewhere where you can use a Gatorade bottle to hold the media. All you do is drill holes in the bottom of the bottle and put a airline tube adapter on the top.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: