Status
Not open for further replies.

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info guys, looking forward to cooler light fixtures!!

One last question. Which is best for a Marineland 93G Cube that is 30x30x24? I am going to consolidate 2 HQI Cubes and aBioCube into it. Mixture of LPS and SPS and softies.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I know someone mentioned that you can swap one colored led to another. But are they driven at different optimal current? ie the white leds are driven at higher current than the blue. If that's the case, switching them from one color to another won't do you any good.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I know someone mentioned that you can swap one colored led to another. But are they driven at different optimal current? ie the white leds are driven at higher current than the blue. If that's the case, switching them from one color to another won't do you any good.

They're mostly 3W except for the larger 15W or 30W.
So the 3W's should be swappable.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
They're mostly 3W except for the larger 15W or 30W.
So the 3W's should be swappable.

I know they are all 3W bulbs. Even so, their optimum currents are different. However, if the maxspect power supply use the same current for both white and blue leds, there'll be no issues with swapping. I hope that's the case.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The 3W LED's are about 3.3V each so it would be driving close to 1A to make it 3W

Thanks Ming. I understand everything you said. But I am reading between the lines. If you read the DIY led thread in another site, people are driving the 3W white and 3W leds under different current according to their specs. (eg. 1000mA vs 700mA) So if you swap the white to blue and the driver is driving the blue at 1000mA instead, the results might not be the same or desirable. I am just speculating. I just don't know whether the drivers in the maxspects apply the same current to both bulbs. Having said all these, even they are different in current, it might not make any difference to an average user like us.

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the G2 170 from NYReefNoob and it will work GREAT on our 150 FOWLR aggressive tank. :)

Definitely makes me wonder how a 110 and a 160 would be on a 93G 30x30x24 Cube that will house sps, lps and maybe a few softies in some shade if there is any.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This is the new G2 160W with cree XP-G that I want.

Attachments

• img0243bf.jpg
    img0243bf.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 368

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I believe most people drive the XPG's closer to 1A.. ratio's close enough though

R3 305-325 lm @ 1A
R5 348-370 lm @ 1A

If you wanted to risk burning the LED's out...

R3 406-433 lm @ 1.5A
R5 463-493 lm @ 1.5A

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I believe most people drive the XPG's closer to 1A.. ratio's close enough though

R3 305-325 lm @ 1A
R5 348-370 lm @ 1A

If you wanted to risk burning the LED's out...

R3 406-433 lm @ 1.5A
R5 463-493 lm @ 1.5A

I know. The numbers I quoted are lumens/watt for the purpose of comparison. :rolleyes: You can drive them which ever way you want.

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I got a reply - the Cree version of G2-160w is also available in this GB, it'll be US$700 shipped.

Holy crap 190 more for the Cree LED version...

Is anybody in the know available to help us LED noobs know if it is worth it for the Cree upgrade? Please PM if you don't want to post in the thread, I will not post what you PM. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: