tzo

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, This is my first post here so please be nice!

BACKGROUND:
I have a small eclipse 12, used Livesand to start the tank along with a blue devil. I have a bit of live rock in the tank (one small chunk) and after recently upgrading my lighting to dual 13W using a Mix of Actinic and 5000K bulbs. I have 2 hermits, 1 other spider crab I think it is, and a spotted hawkfish. I've had cyanobacteria issues, but am battling it with better carbon and ditching the eclipse 12 pads, since they seem to be adding phosphates into the water. My tank is around 82F - 1.022 salinity, 8.2 PH or so, and using a small airstone to pump out some microbubbles to make some movement other than the eclipse filter.

NOW TO THE QUESTION:
I now see these small red bubble plants or coral coming out of the live rock. its been in there approx 2-3 months. I recently retrofitted the lights a few weeks ago.See images (hopefully I posted them correctly)

Can you help me ID these red bubble things? What are they? New to the hobby again and just want to know about it, Not sure where the live rock came from (region)

Attachments

• redbubblecoral1.jpg
    redbubblecoral1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 186
  • redbubblecoral2.jpg
    redbubblecoral2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 182

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eric and welcome to reefs.org!

These look like the new growth of a red macroalgae. It often starts out emerging from the rock like that, then changes form as it gets larger. We might be able to figure out what kind it is after it grows a bit more.

It's not dangerous and usually won't become a pest.

Algae Blenny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a macroalgae, if you don't like it remove, but don't pop it if you are getting rid of it. That coudl spread it.

sammy stingray

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search on BOTRYOCLADIA . Foxfaces will tear the stuff up..absolutely love it, but your tank's too small. :( The stuff sometimes takes over tanks very fast.

sammy stingray

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, if it is botryocladia, I don't think the bubbles contain spores like valonia..not 100% though. Best of luck and happy Thanksgiving. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: