A

Anonymous

I just got a new frag this weekend. Actually it is my first. Everything (LPS and softies) are doing great. I couldn't be more pleased with how everything has matured in my tank.
I noticed yesterday that my new frag was already developing problems. The "skin" was starting to "dissappear" in 2 small areas and since is expanding fairly quickly. I immediately tested the water. That is not a problem. I then began to think that that darn flame angel has finally reared its ugly head. To my amasement, I just caught my 6-line wrasse nibbling away at my acro. RATS!!!

2 questions: I am and will relocate these two fish seeing that my tank is quickly becoming more of a reef tank then originally planned.
1. Any easy ways to catch these guys (stupid question, but thought I'd ask)?
2. Will the acropora recover or is it DOOMED?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Until it desolves don't ever take it out
smile.gif

I have had frags come back when I could see no polyps anywhere. They are very resilitant. Often they come completely back in a day or two.

Feed that damn sixline man, are you starving him, or is he just on a diet, coral only. Brine is cheaper. The extra food will benifit the corals as well and they will be able to grow. The sixline is a great reef fish but if he is not fed he will pick at everything, even your fish. Mine swims around with a belly so full he looks like a puffer, he eats more than fish twice his size. Small fish generally have very high metabolisims and should be fed several times a day.

Zerah
Lawton, OK

A

Anonymous

One thing you can do which will help stop the recession of the tissue is to apply super glue to the dead areas. Cover any area adjacent to living tissue and also cover the first small bit of living tissue. I have found that this will often help stop further tissue loss (it acts as a kind of coral band-aid). As far as the fish go, don't worry about them. They were only eating the dead (or nearly dead) tissue from the acro. I have a six line and an pygmy african flameback angel in my reef and I have observed this behavior before. They will eat dead or dying tissue from an acro but will not bother the healthy tissue. Stop the tissue loss and they will not bother the acro any more. I hope this helps.

Corbin

------------------
http://home.att.net/~corbinwest

A

Anonymous

Hi.

Raven is 110% correct I have observed my fish Camsels, and Pygmy Angels doing same to a dying Acro colony. They cannot/will not do the same to a living colony.

Are you sure that the new frag is acclimatized to your lights, could be a reason for this.

Cheers

Brian

A

Anonymous

Eric Borenman also uses a product called liquid band-aid with good success for sealing the ends of newly fraged pieces. It should do the same for dead tissue. Find it in the drug store.

Zerah
Lawton, OK

A

Anonymous

Great advice everyone. It could quite possibly be the new environment (lights, water quaalities, etc.). And, it could very well be my reluctance to never over feed...
They will certainly get a feast over the next couple of days.
Thanks for you help and I'll be waiting patiently.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: