darrelljs

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just bought me a marine aquarium for my birthday, which is great because I've been wanting to get into the hobby for a while. Unfortunately, the shop that set the tank up has done several questionable things:

1. No protein skimmer, just a cannister.
2. Started the tank with plain tap water.
3. Only 2 20W flourescent bulbs.
4. Despite being a 100 liter tank, he's trying to get me to put about 20 fish in it.
5. Worst of all, he has put a Ritteri anemone in the tank.

He didn't even know what type of anemone it was, but after some web research I am 99% sure that is the species. The poor thing is not really in a good situation, as from what I've read I am likely to kill it. I have already noticed that sections periodically turn black and droop (although they have recovered every time).

So, I am not really worried about the money we paid for the critter, I just want it to survive. I live in Malaysia, but unfortunately the nearest reef is quite a distance and I probably can't make the trip to release it (even if that was a good idea). My options are:

1. Keep it and try to provide the right environment.
2. Return it to the store we bought it from in which case I think its doomed.
3. Return it to another store that maybe has a better chance of saving it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Darrell

bello0110

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

then go back to the original store and yell at them! :twisted:

you can still keep fish in your tank, very small fish that is. if this is your first time which it sounds to be, get some clownfish -minus anemones!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: