Sue Truett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, this making me want clams again. I have 1 tear drop maxima that I've had for 3 years+ and it's all my copperband will let me have and not pick on it. Unarce so glad you found a black and white. It's close..and gorgeous. These other clams are freakin' awesome..

Sue Truett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crocea's are the most light demanding tridacnid out there. I would not suggest even trying to keep one under anything less than halides.

The new book, Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James Fatheree is awesome. I just got the book from Barry at Clamsdirect and it is a great read. Expains why each specific species must be kept where in the tank.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's always going to be exceptions, but a majority of the time, you're not going to find any long-term success stories of crocea/maxima under fluorescents.

It's just not good practice. Not only because they are two of the most light demanding, but they are the least hardy, too:(

Fatherree said it best in his book, "Keeping tridacnids under fluorescent bulbs can be hit or a miss, but keeping tridacnids under metal halides is always a hit."

HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. With all the success I see with people keeping SPS under T-5's I really don't see why it would be so difficult to keep maximas or croceas under it. Do they really require so much more light than SPS? They can certainly can't be any more delicate or demanding.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a different beast altogether, IMO. You can adjust the position of an SPS colony 20X over a span of a week, and it wouldn't flinch. Do this with a clam, and it could be dead the next day :(

I have no scientific data to back this up, but I believe strong illumination helps provide Tridacnids with enough carbon energy to deal with the rigors of tank life. Even when light needs are met, there are still so many experienced reefkeepers that simply have no luck with crocea and maxima. You want to at least give them the best chance possible to survive.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple more of my Crouching Tridacnid, Hidden Crocea :P

crocea2.jpg

topdown2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my offering.

Louey

Attachments

• Clams 002.jpg
    Clams 002.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 4,093

Duec22

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my Crocea is doing great under T-5's...It attached withing 15min of being in the tank, and I've never though of moving it though...It's been in this spot since April...It was the very first thing sold out of Yourreef's new B&M store...
rsd.jpg

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duec22":3umtcm9d said:
It was the very first thing sold out of Yourreef's new B&M store...

I love the way you've positioned it, Dave. Looks very natural. It's extra special, too, being the very first purchase at John's storefront :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I really want a clam. When are you guys and gals getting them?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the maximas I posted on the previous page are from ORA. At one time I had more than 250 clams here at once. Most were ORA maximas.

Lately I've seen some really amazing croceas, I just haven't posted any of their pictures.

Vili_Shark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi JustPhish,
That's amazing, I saw tons of ORA clams, some of the clams you posted have much better colors and patterns.
Some of them remind me of the Walt Smith clams that arrived mid 2003, those were the finest clams I've ever seen, but they had some problems.

Xan ya pls post the amazing crocea pics? sounds interesting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: