jglackin

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping that someone can help me with an issue I am having in my nano. I have a 12 gallon nano cube with a small clown gobi, two percula clowns, an emerald crab, two small peppermint shrimp, several snails and numerous corals, feather dusters and mushrooms. Everything is going very well. Water quality seems fine, the corals are growing and the mushrooms are spreading. The pulsing xenias have been booming as well. To the point to where they were almost becomming a nuisance. Now, however, all of a sudden, the pulsing xenias are doing very poorly. They are dying off, but everything else is still doing very well. I add iodine...nothing. I have changed the water (twice)....nothing. Nothing has changed that I can think of that would affect the xenias, but something is affecting them and I cannot figure it out.

Any experience with this? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance,

Jim

05xrunner

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Xenia recently that just never did good.
I was reading about them and they say Some people can keep them and they grow like mad and others cant get them to go for anything. They also can spread all over look to be doing great then just out of no where take a turn for the worse very fast. I think thats just the way they are. not anything you did.

jglackin

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am hearing. They are strange that way. I had a large number of soft corals in the tank and someone told me that many soft corals emit toxins that could be killing the xenias. I took several of the soft corals out and it actually did help, but they are looking a little weak again.

I volunteer at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. I took a water sample in today and hit it with a battery of tests to see if there was something wrong with my water. The nitrates, nitrates, PH, phosphates, etc, where all perfect, but my calcium was very high. I am going to do a water change tomorrow and I will see if that helps, but water changes in the past have not had an impact.

I guess I am just destined to lose them.

Take care,

Jim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: