CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So not even a week has gone by after breaking down my 75g and I already "need" to start a new tank. I live in an apt now and due to size constraints I can only have a significantly smaller tank.

So i'm contemplating two options. Either a 10g non-reef ready tank (used as a quarantine tank that I already have) or buy a new innovative marine 20g nuvo.

I know the 10g is small and doesn't leave me with much options so I was thinking of getting an CPR aquafuge HOB refugium which will add an additional 3.5g or so. I'll also be able to add a skimmer and LR and live sand in the refugium.

Other options is to just go with the nuvo 20. I will have to convince the wife to let me go bigger but not sure how that will go since convincing her to let me set up the 10g relied on the fact that I didn't have to buy anything and that I already had all the equipment lol. but we'll see.

What do you guys think?? Any comments on either set up. Also how are the innovative marine tanks? heard mixed reviews. they look great. Which ever way I go I have all the equipment from old tank that I would be using. (Radion G3, apex, dosing pumps, ATO etc.) Also plan on doing water changes once a week (this worked for me for years). I want to have mainly SPS with some LPS and a few fish. I only have one place to put the tank so these are the only 2 sizes that will fit. I wish I could go bigger but that's just not an option at this time.

Thanks for the help!

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I managed to convince the wife to let me get an IM 25g Lagoon tank with high gloss white stand. This will be my first nano tank. I recently broke down my 75g mixed reef after 7 years. I want this tank to be manly SPS with some LPS here and there. Than currently has water in it, 20lbs or fiji pink sand and about 20 or so lbs of dry rock. Added some biospira and waiting to cycle. Will test water in a week or two and see where I stand. (haven't done this in a long time lol)

In terms of fish I want to add a pair of designer clowns, maybe six line wrasse, goby? a shrimp or two. Any other suggestions??

Equipment:
Radion G3
Sicce 1.5 return pump
IM Ghost skimmer
Cobalt neotherm 75w heater
Tunze osmolator
Apex controller
Bubble magus triple doser

Currently have the radion running for about 10 hours at 30% with (4 hours ramp up/down) Will mess around with it more once I get some livestock in there. Any suggestions for a good schedule regarding this type of tank?

Comments/suggestions/ideas for this tank are highly appreciated. Thanks guys!:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0117 2.jpg
    IMG_0117 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 451

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
so it's been about almost a week since I added water to the tank. The water's pretty cloudy right now. Like i said it's been years since i cycled a tank. Is this normal? I don't have any mechanical filtration at the moment other than skimmer which I turned on today. Any suggestions? should I add some filter socks? Will that help clear the water up a bit or should I just do a water change?

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So after the tank finally cycled decided to add a pair of phantom clowns and a RBTA. Been in the tank for a little over a week and doing great. Now just need to get the clowns to host the anemone lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 356

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Took a little under a month for the tank to cycle. I added the RBTA about a week after. I know you should introduce anemones to well established tanks but i couldn't wait anymore lol. I dose akl, cal, mg and do weekly water changes to keep my parameters stable. RBTA and clowns doing great so far.

Last edited:

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So quick update...Added two MP10s W QD for flow and they're amazing. running them at about 35% and cannot hear a thing. super quiet. Also started adding some corals and realized my alk and mag were low. Hooked up my doser and started dosing 3 part and everything is getting back in check. Some of the corals started to loose some color and realized my phosphates were high (0.2). Put in the chemipure elite in one of the media racks and GFO in a bag in the second chamber so it gets some up flow. Phospates went down. corals started to get some color back w/good polyp extension. Lesson learned: things can change very quickly in a nano tank :/

SPS:
Green slimer
Rose milli
Tubbs stellata monti
Superman monti
Unknown green monti
Wild Pearlberry
Strawberry shortcake (hopefully it colors back up)
Aussie Gold milli
Aussie Green table
Aussie purple/pink acro
Fiji Rainbow acro
Sarmentosa acro

Since I very quickly loaded up on corals think it's time to add a new fish just don't know what...

Currently have a pair of phantom clowns who have yet to host a RBTA :( and thinking of adding a combination of maybe 4 of the following. not sure if too many or not.

Fish wishlist:
Clown goby
Court jester goby
High fin red banded goby
Purple fire fish
Sixline wrasse maybe?
Blue-spotted jawfish
Yellow watchman goby w/pistol shrimp?
Yasha goby
Purple dottyback
Orchid dottyback

Any other livestock suggestions are appreciated.

Also here's a recent FTS.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 253

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What about a coral beauty angelfish. I am toying with the idea of getting one right now.

i thought about it. also thought about a pygmy angel or flame angel. think the tank is gonna be to small for a dwarf angel though. also they might nip at the corals. I also wanna get a clam at some point and I feel like they might go after that too so not sure if I wanna take the risk. thanks for the feedback :)

lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Idk, my flame angel is very friendly ^_^ I feed 3 times a day, so maybe hes not hungry. I also have a clam, and I've never seen him pick at it. Nano tanks are a *****! I feel like I need to run carbon 24/7, and do 2 10% water changes a week. That was on like a 15gal tho (including the sump). Good luck with the set up!!!!

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Idk, my flame angel is very friendly ^_^ I feed 3 times a day, so maybe hes not hungry. I also have a clam, and I've never seen him pick at it. Nano tanks are a *****! I feel like I need to run carbon 24/7, and do 2 10% water changes a week. That was on like a 15gal tho (including the sump). Good luck with the set up!!!!

I had a flame angel in my old 75 G for a little while and he was fine. Just don't know how he's gonna do in such a small tank. And yes I have to run carbon and gfo and do 10% water change weekly lol. worth it for now until I can get a bigger tank. Thanks for the feedback

CristianD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Here's another FTS with new frags fixed to rocks. Now just waiting for them to grow out. I'm also making the switch from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. Starting with 1g water change a week. Heard good things about the salt as it has higher levels of Alk, Ca and Mg than reef crystals. Was having a difficult time find the right dosing of 3 part because my Mg was around 1050 about last month with alk low and Ca high. Got the levels a bit under control. Alk 10.5 (shooting for 10), Ca 405 (shooting for 450) and Mg. 1410 (shooting for 1350-1400)

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 220

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: