Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
My tang doesnt want to eat anything
. It just keeps grazing around the tank, it's getting skinnier and skinnier and I don't know what to feed him or how to get him to eat..I tried soaked food in garlic and algae sheets but nothing

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
My tang doesnt want to eat anything
. It just keeps grazing around the tank, it's getting skinnier and skinnier and I don't know what to feed him or how to get him to eat..I tried soaked food in garlic and algae sheets but nothing

I have a kole tang, here's the list of ftuff mine eats, maybe that helps you a little: ocean nutrition algae sheets (green and red), hikari mysys, dragon breath algae, hikari marine pellets (small)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
We need to hear from those who have healthy Koles for well over a year to more!

I've tried several Koles, and I also have run into the same problem with them.:( Sadly they have all perished, when all other tangs doing just fine.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Not trying to take over the OP's thread......

I tried all the above, and none worked. Is it possible that this is another fish that is not as easy to keep as some may think?

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Not trying to take over the OP's thread......

I tried all the above, and none worked. Is it possible that this is another fish that is not as easy to keep as some may think?

Its a possibility but it could happen with any wild caught fish. Some individual fish no matter the species are just not meant to live in captivity even when others of the same species and even from the same school of fish are thriving just fine

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I've had a Kole for around 6 months.

She did terribly in QT, so much so I had to take her out and get her in the main tank after 3 days. Just wasn't happen. Hid the whole time and didn't take to food. She was from Diver's Den though, so I was not too worried about disease when it came to moving her into the main tank.

Once in the DT she started grazing the rock work within 10 seconds and hasn't stopped except to sleep. She's constantly chomping on the rock work, the glass, even the gravel and occasionally turbo snail shells :)

At first she did not go for algae sheets at all. Eventually though she took a liking to them, but seems to prefer Julian Sprung Purple above anything else. She generally doesn't dig the green Ocean Nutrition (and now i have 2 packages)...but I have seen her eat it. The purple she devours though. I haven't tried the red yet. I do sheets on a clip 2-3 times a week - no soaking or anything first. I just tear off a sheet, clip it, and shove it on my glass. Within 2 minutes she's attacking it like i do a rack of bbq ribs.

I also offer http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1527/ (mixed) with every other normal feeding or so, which, speaking of, ... I feed a variety of dried foods that all my fish eat, daily. Formula 1 and 2 flakes, Prime Reef flakes, New Life Spectrum pellets (small, or thera a), the above sea veggies flakes, sometimes OSI mix or Spirulina flakes..

I also (3 - 4 times a week ) feed frozen mysis, marine cuisine, omnivore blend, rods, roggers ... something else i can't recall. (not all at once obviously)

Occasionally i add 1 - 2 drops of Kent garlic extract or elos vitamin

My theory on feeding my fish is that i offer a smorgesborg of different foods every day, so they all get something that they want, given that every species (and in some cases even individual fish) like different things.

If i were you i'd try formula 2 flakes and something else meaty (my fish seem to like prime reef) at the same time, so it's all mixed up (add 1-2 drops of garlic too if you want - i kinda just drop it on the handful of flakes before i dump them in. I'd also get those purple julian sprung sheets and offer a 3x3 or so sized sheet a few times a week.

Remember this too - Tangs are omnivores, not herbivores. They DO eat meaty stuff. That gets overlooked a lot.

Affordable Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
We sell whol leaf dried seaweed. The same stuff that gets chopped up and made into nori and fish food. We've found that because it rehydrates into exactly what the fish is used to eating, they readily take it. In fact they go nuts for it. If you would like try some, PM your address and we'll send you some to try out at our cost.
-john

http://www.affordableaquaticsupplie...Path=4_7_118&zenid=i5ehq26n6kb3lo939u2qrv60l1

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've tried plenty of things
Nori
Small mysis and brine shrimp
Both soaked on garlic extract
I even tied some caulerpa prolifera onto a small piece of ruble but it only keeps grazing on rocks and that's def. not enough

Potacka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I got a kole about a month ago. It took about two weeks to start eating a variety of foods. Started with frozen brine shrimp and slowly started trying everything else I put in.

I usually try to feed things that look live to new fish. Maybe try some live brine few fish can resist them.

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I don't think he will live for too long

I have chromis, small sailfin tang, small female blue throat trigger, clownfish pair, pair of cardinal , mandarin, purple dottyback

None of my fish seem to bother him at all

REEFSTA

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
how long has your tank been running for tangs dont always do well in newer tanks

what size is your tank you have a few fish over crowded may be a big reason for stress

Last edited:

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
My tank is almost two years and everybody else been fine in it
Nobody USED to bother him at all

And I'm using "used to"
Because yesterday he passed away >\
I was kind of annoyed at the fact that I could do something about it
But I guess that's life

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: