Cadiz.Jonathan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so moved out my apartment and back home:) I have a 55 gallon tank with stand that's just waiting to be used! Well it's in use but hasn't been properly taken cared of. So I thought starting over would be a great idea! The only things I have is my 55gallon and stand got some old lights over it t5s but want to go back to LEDs like in my old tank also have my Red Sea test kit. Now that I have been thinking about this whole setup I'm starting to think its gonna be really expensive I'm thinking about at least 600 to get the things I need to start it up. Ro unit/ sand / rock/ diy new sump/. Over flow kit/ salt /pump. That's not including the lights skimmer and pumps. Am I right? How much do u think i should budget? Just for the starter stuff

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You'll be over $1000 easy probably closer to 2k. Your best bang for the buck would be to wait for a complete used system.

+1

..and the absolute worst size tank for a reef is a 55G due to the narrow width of 12".
You could wait for a set up to turn up in the For Sale Forum or you could post that you are looking for one in the Want To Buy forum and perhaps catch someone before they even post one they might be putting up for sale :)

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Upgrade now while your basically not in the hole on a current setup.

Wait for a good setup like the recent 120 for sale. 700 for tank + stand

Good LED fixture - 300-800 depending on how many you need
Skimmer - Depending on size and expected load - 200-300
Pumps - if you go with koralia, vortech or tunze can vary big time
Return pump
Sump -
Heater
ATO
LR
LS
RO/DI
SALT
+ LiveStock

Unneeded but if you want to go with CaRX, Controller (RKL at a minimum), dosing pump (marine magic ~$150), additives, etc

wow this hobby is so expensive!!!!!!!!

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
LED lighting for a 55g used is $600 (AI Sol blue prices with controller used), $200 for a decent skimmer (1000sss or better used) Live Rock $150 give or take, Salt mix $50, GFO, GAC $50, Return pump $60-$80,Flow pumps, sump, Misc plumbing $60 or so, Cheap timers and ect... You are looking at $1000 to start and $2000 for a correct setup. This is not to mention livestock $$$$

I agree, look for a used complete setup

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
be very careful when purchasing a used tank. if it was used for freshwater or even saltwater there is a good chance they dosed copper if it wasnt a reef tank. copper absorbs into the silicone on the tank and may leach out eventually... copper is bad for a reef tank.

Hans24hrs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest part is tank and stand when it comes to reef. Not to rub salt (no pun intended) in your wound but I had a 150 (5x2x2)acrylic set up for $1000 on c-list about a month ago. Ended up selling most of it separately. Your best bet is to look for someone breaking down reef system (or moving and selling) and buying it all in one shot. There are tons of post on Craigslist like that everyday. Just try to get one that is still up and running to check for leaks. Good luck either way

Cadiz.Jonathan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually what do you guys think about the cad lights 50 cube it's on sale now for about 800 comes with skimmer tank stand sump plumbing and refuge light?

ifarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i can tell you right now that you won't be happy with the 55g in this hobby.
You eventually will either upgrade or downgrade.
check in the fs forum for a used 75g marine ready or even a 40g one is still a better choice then the 55g.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: