newfish

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(
I have a 100gal reef tank and it has been up and running now for about
9 months. I do water changes every week about 30gals and i get this hard brown and green slime algea within hours and the next day i have green stuff on the bottom of my tank I was thinking maybe it is my light setup or something all my readings are zero. I have the following in the tank (1) yellow tang (1) blue hipo tang (1) clown and some small corals 200lbs of LR. My Equipment is (1) CPR all in one sump/skimmer w/rio 2100 pump (2) CL PC 4X64 lights (1) chiller and (1) UV. (3) maxijet 1200 pumps in the tank and Genx4 EX pump for return.I use only RO/DI water with IO salt mix. This has been on for along time and ilike it to stop or slow down any help please. :evil:

bradl.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While tracking the source a lawn mower blenny or 2 could help.Mine does a great job on my 55.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by 'hard brown' ,, a photo would help.

If you have 200lb of rock in a 100g tank,, plus a sandbed, then you probably only have 40-50 gallons of actual water in there. If you're doing 30g water changes then you're changing out 70%+ of your water every week. I'm a fan of water changes but that sounds like overkill to me.

Most new tanks go through a slime/cyano bloom but with good skimming etc. the system seems to stabilize and the cyano goes away. This is just a guess, based on the available info, but changing 70% of your water every week might be upsetting that stability. I'd drop the water changes to maybe 10% a week,,, see if that makes a difference.

Maybe a bit more flow within the tank might help as well,, I think you're a little on the low-side for a 100g. You only have 3 fish in there so I assume you're not overfeeding.

>>While tracking the source a lawn mower blenny or 2 could help.

Slime/cyanobacteria contains toxins,, lawnmower blennies don't generally eat cyano (well I've never seen it),,, and putting 2 together in the same tank is not a good idea either unless it's a very big system.

The only things I've ever seen eat cyano are Queen Conchs and some Astreaa snails (which, knowing the LFS I bought them from, were probably starving anyway).

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont THINK it could be the reason.. but your only puttin a little over 2.5 w / g of light in there.. a bit slim.. could be aiding the algae growth by not giving other things what they need to steal the nutrients???

just an idea

B.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the problem shows up whenever you do a water change I would suspect some nutrient is being added during water changes. Are you sure your RO/DI unit is working properly? Also, what are you mixing the water-change water in (maybe the container is leaching something)?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: