burnin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a used 92 corner which had a built-in overflow that went into a wet/dry with a skimmer. Well...first off the wet/dry is super loud, and the skimmer doesn't look like its skimming all that much (the tornado inside the chamber looks pretty weak...not sure how to fix that)...

Anyways, I can't seem to keep the nitrates down and was wondering how I might be able to change the wet/dry setup to a refugium set up. I also would really like to create an emergency reservior in case the power goes and starts to syphen water down below.

Here are pics...PLEASE any thoughts. Specifics would be great.

Attachments

• IMGP1946.JPG
    IMGP1946.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 789
  • IMGP1947.JPG
    IMGP1947.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 796

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrate levels? If they're not really high I don't think I'd be all that concerned in a fish-only setup as nitrate is not very toxic to fish.

With the amount of live rock you have in the system you really don't need the bioballs (you've got more than enough biological filtration from the rock). If it were me and I was looking to improve water parameters I would pull the bioballs out and get a better skimmer.

burnin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hang-on turbo floater...from my previous tank...should I use that. Also, if I get rid of the bio balls...can I change how the water comes into the wet/dry...that's the loud part. Any thougts as to where I can place the skimmer and where I can place the fuge (which compartments). I want to put the brillo macro algae in there.

Thoughts

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the bioballs are gone you could extend the drain pipe so that the outlet runs mostly to totally submerged - that should help with the noise.

The TF is probably a bit on the weak side for skimming that system but you might be OK with it. If you've got it, I'd try it out for a while and see how it goes. You can always upgrade.

As to where to place the skimmer vs. the macros, IMO having the skimmer in the first chamber and the macros in the second is probably the most logical.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm, if you are unable to extend the pipe going into the sump you can put a filter sock over it, that should help with the noise. But you will have to clean it regularly or replace frequently.

your concerned about the wet/dry overflowing, does it overflow now if power goes out? what kind of set up do you have for your return to the wet/dry from the tank? hang on the back?

take out the bio balls if you have 200 pounds of live rock. also take out the grate and you can possibly put some calurpa with a light on it in the bottom. sounds funny but i have seen it done already and it has worked.

one last thing. The tornado problem, i had the same problem with that kind of a set up and look to see if there is a air flow regulator valve on the end of the air line that feeds the pump for the skimmer, if so pull it off completely, and make sure it isn't kinked anywhere in the bends, that fixed my problem with that before.

ok?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey one more question, is that skimmer part of the whole unit or a seperate piece of quipment. it looks seperate to me now just curious

also, why don't you just buy a cheap tank and make a sump if that is what you want? I changed over from my wet/dry to a sump and it was fairly easy. my buddy just made a 75 gallon sump but if you get a like a 20 long or something and glue plastic baffles in it, you have the return pump and skimmer already. i think it is an easy DIY

PM me if you need some advice ok?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: