Hetfield6j

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my first marine tank. 55 gal, 260 watt coralife PC lighting, Marine life 100 skimmer, live sand, and about 30lbs of live rock. Tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks now, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, about 15 nitrate. I have been doing alot of research while waiting for the tank to finish cycling and have seen some contridicting information here and there.

First of all, what are the thoughts on a cover for the aquarium? I have read that you should not cover the aquarium, as it prevents good gas exchange on the surface, and that you should cover it to prevent fish from jumping. I did plan to have some type of blenny, probably a lawnmower blenny, and have read that they will sometimes try to jump ship.

Also, would like to have a pistol shrimp to play with the blenny. Will the pistol only pair off with certain types of blenny's?

Will a coral banded shrimp pick on a skunk cleaner and or pistol shrimp?

And last, when you are cycling a tank with live sand and rock, should i be doing a water change to drop the nitrate levels, or should i let it run its course in hope for nitrate removing bacteria to move in? Keep in mind, the only things in the tank right now are 2 scarlet hermits, and a mushroom coral that hitched on some live rock.

Thanks for any help guys.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer you questions.

First I would not use a cover. Other than preventing good gas exchange they also cut down on the light going into the tank (especally as they get dirty) and trap heat. IMO to advantages to no having one aout weighs the benifits of having one.

Pistol shimp do pair off with certian types of gobies, but not all. I never reasearched then so I can not tell you what ones.

I think coral banded shrimp tend to bully othe shrimp. If you want to have others I would stay away from them. I may be wrong hope others answer this.

Water changes during cucling is an area of debate. I would reccomend doing water changes.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice wazzel but I have never had a problem with a coral banded shrimp bothering anybody had a few so far and nothing, have you had a bad apple shrimp before?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shavo":1kizmsmd said:
Good advice wazzel but I have never had a problem with a coral banded shrimp bothering anybody had a few so far and nothing, have you had a bad apple shrimp before?

I have never owned a coral banded shrimp. Just things I have heard 2nd and 3rd hand. That was the point of the disclaimer.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would do water changes during the cycle because i believe it will help keep alive some of the living creatures that have hitched their way into your tank. i don't think it will hurt the cycling process enough to not do them.
i have a coral banded shrimp that hasn't hurt anything as far as i know. however, he is aggressive, but he is "all talk and no action" he chases shrimp and crabs away from areas, but never goes after them and never touches them. he just basically lunges and then stops. please bear in mind that coral banded shrimp(atleast mine) are rather boring, and hide most, if not all of the day.
the skunk cleaner shrimp are the most active/interactive IMO
i go topless. i recommend it to anyone for the above stated reasons.

and- i have no info about the pistol shrimp.
have fun! :wink:

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol X you think coral banded shrimp are boring???? get yourself a purple reef lobster!!!! They are cool the 2 times a year I see him but when i do he is always bigger.

you posting a pic of you topless?

to the rest of you beware of ODE TO GEORGE

Hetfield6j

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like i'll keep the tank "topless" and probably just skip on the coral banded.

Tank is running 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 15-20 Nitrate, 8.2ph, 1.023spg, at a temp of 78.7. My lfs just recently recieved some young tank raised clowns that i have been waiting for. Are these acceptable levels to add a small clown too? Obviously im going to have to start water changes, as the nitrate has been like this for a week and isnt dropping like i hoped it would.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank raised clowns are easy to come by. i'd wait alittle longer, and do a few water changes. wait till everything is zero. :wink:

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get more than one fish. Why have more than one die? unless you start with damsels that never die and take them out when you are ready.

I started my 125 with an engineer goby

Hetfield6j

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had already bought the clowny before your post, but maybe im missing something here. I am only getting one fish at a time, why would the clown die? Also can you have too much water movement? I have two powerheads pointed at each other across the tank. One is rated 650gph, other at 860gph. For the last month or so while the tank has been cycling, i was thinking that i didnt have enough flow in there as the subject comes up alot on forums. But after getting this small clowny it seems like maybe its abit much. The book i have been reading (The complete book of the marine aquarium) says you can really not have too much water movement, as there is generally alot more in the ocean then what is in marine aquariums. Any thoughts?

Also, need a water purifier so i dont have to buy water. Whats generally considered the best buy? Dont need something huge, but would like a decent one.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still in its infancy. Sometimes it takes a few months for a tank to settle in when starting from ground zero. Your Nitrates are pretty (really) high right now. They should be 0 optimally. I'd do some water changes to get your nitrates down and hold off on any more fish until all your parameters are in check.

What kind of clown is it? Oscellaris?

Hetfield6j

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, Oscellaris. No plans to get any other fish for awhile, especially since i really havent decieded what else to get. This is one of those "Nemo" projects started by my wife and I for our son. Any idea's on the water purifier?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, Oscellaris are hardier than some other species of clown, like true percs.

As far as water purifier you mean an RO/DI unit? I bought mine off of ebay from filterdirect. Works fantastic. I think it was about $130 with shipping. Do a search for RO/DI units on this BB - this comes up a lot :lol: . If not ebay, try Buckeyefield supply. Very helpful customer support.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new update- i just saw my coral banded shrimp ripping apart a 3 inch bristleworm and eating it. very cool, and suprising. he gets 5 positive karma points for that!
i take back everything i said "clippy" ...you da .....shrimp :lol:

Hetfield6j

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought bristleworms were a good thing?? Anyways, think im going to stay clear of the coral banded, as i have heard the sometimes munch on cleaners.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bristles are...unless you have hundreds of them in your display...then when you see one offered up as an occasional meal, it's not a bad thing.
i have 3 cleaner shrimp, a peppermint, a camelback and a CB, and no one bothers anyone else.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: