mstrofdisaster

Smokin' Reefer (aka KRS)
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me, coralline growth occurred naturally after 2-3 months of running the tank. Personally, I wouldn't be adding chemicals to achieve this...If your Ca is at a decent level (>380ppm <500ppm) it should grow all on its own.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thought tests were done, Purple up does nothing except maybe speed it up a teensy bit. If anything get someone to scrape some corraline for you and throw it into your tank to seed it if you don't have any in there on the rocks. If your dosing calcium its going to happen eventually in 2-6 months.

You can save yourself 20$+.

Coraline is based on calcium levels.

ZZROCOOL

BIG ROCK SMALL FISH
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
how come some poeple like coraline alge to grow? poeple dont like a crystal clear tank? just wondering.....

front glass no coraline, but a clear back glass ruins all of your depth perception and doesn't allow the fish and coral to stand out. Most of the real serious tanks have black background creates a sense of depth.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Don't use purple up as everyone is telling you, it's a waste of money. If you're not dosing anything, you may want to look into doing that. With a FO tank it may be a little harder or take a little time because I'd think levels are harder to keep stable.

Maybe you could dose kalkwasser in your top off water along with regular water changes and you should be well on your way to coraline :).

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using B-ionic since the holidays and I'm getting some nice coralline growth despite the cyano thats taking over my tank(do things like phosban and chemipure really work?). Your best bet is to seed your tank with some corraline and maintain the levels neccesary(which is what b-ionic essentially does).

And yes the salt is a little low,1.020 is the minimum but this is really for FO, reefs do like higher levels.

edit: corraline grows on glass and equipment so why not plastic rocks

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
It actually tends to grow quicker on plastic things like acrylic/bilkheads/pumps quicker than glass and rock. Dunno why.

And there is no difinitive answer why or what causes it to grow, but tanks that have reef calcium/alk levels and have some in their tank have it grow. IT eats calcium though as it grows.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
front glass no coraline, but a clear back glass ruins all of your depth perception and doesn't allow the fish and coral to stand out. Most of the real serious tanks have black background creates a sense of depth.

i disagree... and 1.019 is fine for FOWLR.

Purple up is a wast of money. Keep your calcium, kH levels in check and stable. Eventually it will drive you nuts trying to keep it off your glass.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: