• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

slappythefish

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi :D

I'm a new member here and I'm an a total newbie when it comes to nanoreefs(had a 100 gal fish w/lights only about 15years ago that ended in disaster).
I need help.
I am taking the plunge :wink: once again and have a 14gal BioCube on the way. I have live sand on order as well as live rock availible at my LFS plus all the test kits and water treatments that i thought made sense to have at start-up. I have read many things on its use such as weather or not to use the bio balls, the protein skimmers efeectivness etc...My main question is how good will the tank be if I just use it straight outta the box with no modifications?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Slappy - :welcome:

If you are just going to keep the live rock and fish - FOWLR you should be fine if you keep on top of the water changes. I have the same tank on my nightstand - inches from my head - and I love how quiet it is. It is freshwater however. If you are going to add some corals I would suggest using a skimmer even if it is the unit made for that tank. If the live rock is healthy and thriving with the bennnie bacteria you don't need the bioballs. There is a UV unit made for the tank too.

Good luck and the posts will pick up some when it gets a little cooler outside. :wink:

tlkng1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 Biocube....:)

Mine has been up for about 5 months after a reset..some little tricks.

If you are going to go fully stock system, agreed, ditch the bioballs. The BC carbon filter pad that goes in chamber 1 is inadequate given the flow in chamber 1. When I first started the BC without modifications, I added a bag of carbon and some filter floss to that second chamber...carbon on the bottom, floss on top of the grate. That gave me a little more agitation and better captured any of the larger particles prior to the water going through the carbon.

Now, when I reset the tank, I did some modifications based on a lot of extra research and these were relatively simple.

1. I took out the false floors in both chambers 1 and 2. This opened up chamber 1 more for a heater and I bought and use a media basket in Chamber 2.
2. I changed out the stock pump to a Mini-jet 900. This increased the flow from the return which enabled me to keep some higher end corals. I also added a Koralia Nano 240 powerhead to the display area to increase flow.
3. Stock lighting will work for low to middle light requiring corals. I made the choice to upgrade the lighting using a retrofit kit which increased the light t0 72Watts vice the stock 48 so I could keep some of the higher light requiring corals...eventually.

I don't have either a protein skimmer or anything else and all is running well. I do weekly water changes which seems to allow all parameters to remain steady.

A couple of shots of the tank ...the first is on Day 17 and the second was taken the other night, 5 months into it.

Attachments

• 17OctoberB.jpg
    17OctoberB.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,009
  • Day 17.jpg
    Day 17.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,023

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: