• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

OK well I had the pump. So about $50 if you have to buy a pump. $12 for the container from petsmart and $17 worth of fittings. Let me know what you think. This is after the leak test. It sits in my sump just incase it drips.

Attachments

• kalk 3.jpg
    kalk 3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 5,068
  • kalk 2.jpg
    kalk 2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 5,071
  • kalk 1.jpg
    kalk 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 5,068

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me likes..... It has a bigger foot print than mine though. :P

OK enough razzing. I do like It. I cant visualise it in action. I see the feed line, the intake and the return but dont grasp how you are feeding the tank with the overflow. Is that a water tight lid and the incoming water will eventually force the water out of the tall riser tube? How big is the container and how much kalk do you figure you will fill it with? Remember, I burnt out a pump with too much powder in my mixing chamber on my DIY reactor. The friction from the powder literally burnt the fins right off the impeller in about two weeks. Please keep me (us) informed because I may just be sellng both of those fancy ones I built and use your design if it proves effective. My design is proving to be a PITA with my particular set up. Love the creative innovation.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mix the kalk the pump draws from near the top and blows down to get things stirred. The water feeds in through the 1/4" poly line. I have a float switch that turn on a solinoid valve. My feed tank is a couple of feet off the ground so gravity does the work. I only have about 6 oz of kalk powder in it now for testing. I got some picling lime that I will bw using later. I figure about 8 oz then build up if it looks like it can take more. The continer is 12 quart. I would like to put enough that I only have to fill it once every threeish weeks.

Is that a water tight lid and the incoming water will eventually force the water out of the tall riser tube?
Yes.

I will let you know. It has been in service since Saturday.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to put a spray bar on the elbow. I'm not mixing all the kalk right now.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homemade

Ghetto

Lots of parts

I LOVE IT!

Seriously where the hell were you a year ago! I'm dragging my butt trying to get my calcium reactor setup.. although I do hear some people like to run both :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago I was in Trindad working and without tank due to Katrina and moving to Houston.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Did not add the spray bar yet, been busy. I changed the angle of the inner elbow last night and it kicks up a good bit more kalk so I thing that was an improvement. Still going to add the spray bar as soon as I have time to dig through my fittings to see if I have a 1/2" cap. After I fix my front door tho. That is my #1 DIY project for Saturday morning.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":1zqgzlcw said:
What's wrong with the front door?

My house front door is really heavy due to having a large glass pannel in the middle. Over time it has dipped and the knob side has started dragging. I need to change out the screws in the upper hindge for some longer ones so I can tie it back to the studs that frame the door in. The should suck the door back to level. I just have not made it to the hardware store yet to get the screws. If that does not work I need to take the door down and plane some off the knob side.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the house hasnt moved? In another six months it will be just fine if you live in California. Well, the Bay area anyway. I would just carve the hole in the strike plate bigger if there is any question in that regard. Otherwise you may have to readjust the door again later. Trust me, Ive done ALOT of doors. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, but if I lift on the door it closes just fine. A couple of 4" wood screws are not expensive so I am going to give it a try.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity how does that thing deliever kalk water to the tank? Drip system? Do you have a timer to periodically stir it? or does it stir 24/7?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an auto top off system. A float switch activates a solinoid valve that allows my top off tank to drain into the kalk stirrer. The container overflows through the goose neck. I need to purchase a timer so right now I plug the pump in for about 10 minutes a day when I think about it.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From that explanation I would agree that your screws are indeed loose. The door might have a couple loose ones too. :lol: ChrisRD mentioned an appliance timer once. For 15 bucks you gotta love it. I can set it for as little as one minute at a time for up to eight times a day. It even accounts for daylight savings time.

Also, you mentioned that you only hope to fill it with mrs. wages (or whatever you use) once every three weeks. MY one gallon DIY holds two cups of dry material and I only fill about once a month at 2 gallons a day of winter evap. I'd be suprised if you arent able to go a month and a half with that big sucker.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the timer you are talking about. I just have not been to the store yet. If I can go a month or more that would be even better.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the timer a few weeks ago and it is good to have. Today I did the mod to move the RO/DI water intake and added the spray bar. It all gets mixed nice now. I did not even think the water inlet would be a problem at first, but when the auto top off opened the valve when the pump was running it would pump kalk water back into my top off tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: