herpsandreefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze wave box is nothing more that a box with a plunger type design that is airtight and pulls water up, then either releases the plunger or pushes the plunger down to force water back out of the hole at the bottom of the box, I can't tell. Either way, there is no flippin way it is worth 500 big ones. The only area I'm stumped on is how to make the airtight plunger and still have it move freely up and down. One idea is to use the make your own gasket material and use some kind of lubricant, But I do not know of any lubricant that is saltwater safe and would last. Any ideas on how to make that airtight plunger? I really want to make this for two reasons 1: as long as the plunger is airtight, no bubbles 2: no risks to fish or livestock, even if they get sucked up they will just get flushed right back out, hell of a ride!
Any ideas please post!!

Chris

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't two carlson surge devices alternately filling and surging do the same thing?

Edit:

of even just one for that matter? :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob":342erccm said:
Wouldn't two carlson surge devices alternately filling and surging do the same thing?

Edit:

of even just one for that matter? :D

Yes, but noisily.

Simply use a stiff gasket like 60 mil EPDM rubber (pond liner) You can probably get a piece that small for nothing at your local pond supply store or any large nursery store.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tunze use a high flow propeller pump, IIRC, while wave2k use plunger type of actuator as you described. If you look at other tunze product, you will not be surprised that they can charge you that much for a little powerhead in a fancy acrylic box. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most all Tunze products are hideously expensive. There's a DIY Maxijet mod that can make a half-way decent $40 knock off. I wouldn't worry about trying to DIY everything Tunze makes though, just find another way.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone ever come close to figuring out how to DIY one of these? or what parts to use?

We've seen many threads started, but none that I know of have ever succeded or even got past the idea stage.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one on RC where they used a tunze and made a wavebox that apparently did it all, didn't see too many specifics to how it was done, but maybe with some sweet talking you can get him to post (unless it violates a patent then RC will delete it)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: