Actinic Atoll

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like pretty typical modern framing and reasonable sized tank.

Depending on where you put the tank and how many joists it lands on, will dictate whether or not the tank shakes a bit when you walk by.

D-Roms

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. Water spills will ruin the plywood sub floor. If you have a major leak, the water will go through the floor into the downstairs ceiling. It happened to me. A tank seam went in the middle of the night and the tenant on the first floor had 20 gallons of water come through her ceiling.

bvega789

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Only problem would be if you spill water it will def go to the 1st floor.

had the same tank in bowfront, gf broke it being Being salty and spilled everything

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
If 6 people can stand in the spot, the floor is strong enough. Imagine 5 people squeezing onto a love seat couch, should be similar, but people don't worry about placing a sofa. As for the floor sagging over time, you should find the floor studs and spread the weight out equally. The stand is also critical in distributing weight, a wood stand is great at spreading the pressure per square inch. So in layman terms, your tank at almost 1000 lbs, placed over 6 square feet of area 4x1.5= 166 pounds per square foot, or 6 people standing in the area. Total weight is not a problem. If you custom build a wood stand that was simply 1 foot wider, that's1000/7.5= 133 lbs/sq ft. Now lets say you wanted to add 3 inches of space to the front or back of the tank, and it was 5 x 2=10 sq ft, now you spread the weight to just 100 lbs/sq ft. Get the drift? Think of a pyramid.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I wouldn't do it. Water spills will ruin the plywood sub floor. If you have a major leak, the water will go through the floor into the downstairs ceiling. It happened to me. A tank seam went in the middle of the night and the tenant on the first floor had 20 gallons of water come through her ceiling.

With this logic then the op shouldn't buy a home with a bathroom on the 2nd floor.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: