dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a frustating time eliminating micro bubbles. I have read several old threads, and tried some different advise.

I still have them.. Is it possible for the bioball area to produce micro bubbles?

I thought it was purely from the skimmer, so I took a tupper ware container and drilled the bottom. I then added some filter floss to the bottom. Then I added about 6'' foam on top. I cut a round hole out half way through the center for the drain. This set up sits on a blue piece of foam that the skimmer is suppose to drain on. My wet dry is a normal one . I have a little baffle peice that seperates the bio stuff from the return area. The blue foam is above the baffle, and the only water entering the return area is through the sponge.

I shined a flash light near the spnge with the skimmer off, and it appears tiny tiny bubbles are flowing through the sponge.

Again I have read old threads about this and couldnt find one similiar to my problem. I even tried advice from the other threads about the skimmer issue, and did not work.

I hate micro's, somebody please help.... I am desperate.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY advice is to add more baffles or reduce flow throught the sump to allow more hang time. The best bet would be to get that bigger sump you keep talking about.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to do that soon, but was looking for a current fix. I never knew those darn things would be so aggrevating..

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, but I am pretty ticked off about these bubbles. I added some extra foam in hopes to lower the overall flow in there, and I swear I have more bubbles. I am not happy. Anybody have any quick fix suggestions to get me by until I get my new sump?

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":1ozc9w9e said:
Try removing all of the filter floss and reduce the flow through the sump.

Wouldnt removing the filter floss increase flow. I assume the floss creates some sort of resistance.

How could I reduce flow in the sump. Use a pillow..LOL

Give me some pointers, please

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Trido meant two different things. Remove the floss AND reduce flow. Not that removing the floss reduces flow.

I have found that micro bubbles can be the result of the biological process. So, by removing the biomedia/foam you could lessen the frequency of the bubbles being produced.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, is Anenomebuff is correct. What I meant was....The return pump controls how much flow runs throught the sump by means of GPH. You do have a valve of some sort on your return line to control the amount of flow dont you?

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":76owi1wf said:
Yes, is Anenomebuff is correct. What I meant was....The return pump controls how much flow runs throught the sump by means of GPH. You do have a valve of some sort on your return line to control the amount of flow dont you?

Of course I do, doesn't everyone. Yeah that is a standard thing these days. Actually, no i do not. :cry: But it goes from zero to 60 in just under 4 seconds.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: