• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jaimwolfe

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I have a 50 Gallon standard rectangular acrylic tank, and wish to switch to a Sump / Wet/Dry filter under the stand. I had planned on simply drilling two holes into the back of the tank, but now would like to build an overflow and drill the tank from below. Please let me know the best (and most quiet) way of doing this. The back of the tank is Black, so I would like to keep things hidden. What would be my best method for doing this? I don't want a hang on overflow.

Thanks!
Jaim Wolfe
[email protected]

AuroraDave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably easiest to use a one-piece overflow made out of acrylic. Use silicon to glue in place in the corner.

I called a local plastic/acrylic company from the YP and he cut a piece for me and bent it into a "L" shape so that I had a rectangle box shaped over-flow. He also cut the teeth out of the top for me. I cut 2 pieces of wood (1x2) and placed in the tank from glass to overflow, to hold it in place while the glue hardened.

I would suggest drilling 2 holes. one for water to sump and one for water back. Then you wont have to run a line outside of your tank.

Good luck

NasotheHutt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished a DIY acrylic 360 about 2 months ago, and built the overflow with the scrap. Using silicon to put it in the tank will probably work, but does not give with the tanks bowing, like it does with glass. I used Weld-On 3 and then ran a bead of silicon for a water tight seal. As far as the stand pipes, I used the (external) Durso method.

HTH
Scott

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: