mutabaruka

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:roll: :?: I have just recently experienced a growth of dark red algae. I am not sure how to discern what kind it is, and therefore how to deal with it. I have a 20G tank with 15# live rock, 15# crushed coral, 2 turbo snails, 4 left-handed hermits, 2 scarlet hermits, and 4 bumblebee snails. Livestock includes a cleaner shrimp, a small yellow tang, and a spotted puffer. The algae grows in patches; very dark red, some is almost black, it seems very thin, but then comes together in 1-2" long filaments, almost like hair flowing in the current. I suspected cyanobacteria, because I was overfeeding. Could this be it? I can't find any source anywhere to help determine what kind it is.

Thanks for any help,

Brian

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like that black brush stuff from freshwater that can invade a tank in 2 days. Not sure what it is;sounds like filamentous hair algae, but then the hermits would probably be picking at it. I don't know exactly, though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: