Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
When does Alk and Calcium levels need to be before it starts to precipitate out of solution and your sandbed starts to cake up and there is a white film in the sump?

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Im pretty sure it all depends on your mag levels. Calcium and carbonate ions are naturally attracted to each other. Magnesium ions act as a "bouncer" between the two until the corals have a chance to turn them into calcium carbonate. So if you have a low mag level and high alk or calc, your alk( carbonate ions) and calc will precipitate out of the water and end up caking up your sandbed. At least thats my understanding of it so far. If Im wrong please someone correct me

AlohaTropics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
pH is very important. The lower the pH, the more calcium the water can hold. The higher the pH, the more precipitation will occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Im pretty sure it all depends on your mag levels. Calcium and carbonate ions are naturally attracted to each other. Magnesium ions act as a "bouncer" between the two until the corals have a chance to turn them into calcium carbonate. So if you have a low mag level and high alk or calc, your alk( carbonate ions) and calc will precipitate out of the water and end up caking up your sandbed. At least thats my understanding of it so far. If Im wrong please someone correct me

My magnesium is at 1650 ppm, 10- 11 dKH, and calcium 420-470 ppm. PH around 8.2 - 8.4.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro

When does Alk and Calcium levels need to be before it starts to precipitate out of solution

It is not that easy, it is dependent on Ca++, pH and Alk mostly but also on Salinity and temp. These are often called Omega values.

My magnesium is at 1650 ppm, 10- 11 dKH, and calcium 420-470 ppm. PH around 8.2 - 8.4.

Your Mg++ is to high, get it to around 1300 ppm. Your dKH and pH are fine. I would try to keep that Ca++ below 450 ppm.

fishman

Im pretty sure it all depends on your mag levels. Calcium and carbonate ions are naturally attracted to each other.

No, it is Ca++ and Mg++ are attracted to ions that both "fit" into, as Ca++ and Mg++ are similar to each other.

Magnesium ions act as a "bouncer" between the two until the corals have a chance to turn them into calcium carbonate.

No, corals have about Zippo Mg++. Most corals are made of Aragonite and Mg++ does not fit into the crystal structure, as it does not have the right diameter to fit in.

So if you have a low mag level and high alk or calc, your alk( carbonate ions) and calc will precipitate out of the water and end up caking up your sandbed.

You have this part correct. Mg++ acts as a surface poison for the formation of Calcite, which precip's often are. Mg++ fits real nice into Calcite crystal structure, just like Sr++ fits real nice into Aragonite crystal structure. So, since the Mg++ acts as a surface poison for the formation of Calcite, more Mg+ goes into the building of the Calcite crystal structure. Thus, there is less loss of Ca++ as a precip.

Aloha

The lower the pH, the more calcium the water can hold. The higher the pH, the more precipitation will occur.

It is really not that simple but true in a general way. You need a buffer/Alk to really take it out of solution. I will add that Salinity also plays a roll. For example, in FW, at the same temp, Alk and pH there will be an increase in precip. As the Salinity drops the iS (Ionic Strength) is much less and the Activity much higher.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot.

Thanks Noob for the kinda reminder :)

before it starts to precipitate out of solution and your sandbed starts to cake up

That is usually a different issue, if you are taking about the SB Clumping-Up.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanx for the info Boomer but when I said Magnesium ions act as a "bouncer" between the two until the corals have a chance to turn them into calcium carbonate. I wasnt refering to the Mg being used by the corals. I was tryin to say that the corals use the carbonate ions and ca ions to make calcium carbonate. Is that correct?
I already knew this but thanx, Im still tryin to learn all the chemistry behind all this
"No, corals have about Zippo Mg++. Most corals are made of Aragonite and Mg++ does not fit into the crystal structure, as it does not have the right diameter to fit in."

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Macro

When does Alk and Calcium levels need to be before it starts to precipitate out of solution

It is not that easy, it is dependent on Ca++, pH and Alk mostly but also on Salinity and temp. These are often called Omega values.

Your Mg++ is to high, get it to around 1300 ppm. Your dKH and pH are fine. I would try to keep that Ca++ below 450 ppm.

fishman

Im pretty sure it all depends on your mag levels. Calcium and carbonate ions are naturally attracted to each other.

No, it is Ca++ and Mg++ are attracted to ions that both "fit" into, as Ca++ and Mg++ are similar to each other.

Magnesium ions act as a "bouncer" between the two until the corals have a chance to turn them into calcium carbonate.

No, corals have about Zippo Mg++. Most corals are made of Aragonite and Mg++ does not fit into the crystal structure, as it does not have the right diameter to fit in.

So if you have a low mag level and high alk or calc, your alk( carbonate ions) and calc will precipitate out of the water and end up caking up your sandbed.

You have this part correct. Mg++ acts as a surface poison for the formation of Calcite, which precip's often are. Mg++ fits real nice into Calcite crystal structure, just like Sr++ fits real nice into Aragonite crystal structure. So, since the Mg++ acts as a surface poison for the formation of Calcite, more Mg+ goes into the building of the Calcite crystal structure. Thus, there is less loss of Ca++ as a precip.

Aloha

The lower the pH, the more calcium the water can hold. The higher the pH, the more precipitation will occur.

It is really not that simple but true in a general way. You need a buffer/Alk to really take it out of solution. I will add that Salinity also plays a roll. For example, in FW, at the same temp, Alk and pH there will be an increase in precip. As the Salinity drops the iS (Ionic Strength) is much less and the Activity much higher.

Thanks Boomer, I like this forum alot! I'll bring down the magnesium which is causing the flaking. My temperature is at 78 degrees and the specific gravity is around 1.027. My pinpoint salinity monitor broke when I dropped it in the sump by accident. Will gradually bring it back down to 1.025. The two part left unwatch will spike the specific gravity in a small system which is a total of 170 gallons.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: