• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jasno999

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics are not fantastic but better than the last time I tried to take them.
There are several of these little worms in my gravel and a few makign homes in old snail shells. This is the first time I have ever seen them out while the lights were on. There seems to be more of them and they seem to be in several places n my gravel.

I don't know if they are fire-worms or something different. Hoping you all can help...

PICT4710.jpg

PICT4709.jpg

PICT4705.jpg

Last edited:

jasno999

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a direct corelation between the bristle worm population and overfeeding?

I admit I typically do overfeed when I feed but I will go several days without puttign anyhting in the tank before I feed again-

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I was taking down a refugium this past weekend and got dinged by one of those (I have an overpopulation by most standards but I don't mind--they don't bother anyone) and wow, I got about 75 bristles in two fingers. I did the "soak in vinegar 1/2 hour trick", and it dissolved the bristles away with no problems--I didn't have any symptoms at all.

Just a handy hint :)

jasno999

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I am goign to cut back on my feeding. I don't mind them but don't need them to increase in population. I will give a very small amount of food to the damsel, some playnkton 1 time every two weeks for the corals and I will give a piece of raw shrimp to the bubble, brittle star and shrimp 1 time every 3-4 weeks.

leoskee

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Please keep in mind that the organisms that we keep in our tanks eat small portions of food many times during the day. You dont want to underfeed your animals either.

I suggest feeding small portions every day. That is what I do with my tank. I dont have that many fish at the moment so I use a cube of omnivore diet, cut it into 4 pieces and feed a piece in the morning, when I get home, after dinner and the last one later in the night. This way allows for all of the food to be eaten.

I do have to admit that it is becoming harder and harder to feed this way because I live in a house now as opposed to an apartment. The tank is in the basement. :happysad:

jasno999

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed. Well I only have one fish. But I have a peppermint shrimp, brittle star and bubble coral that need the occasional meaty food like raw shrimp pieces.

But they do not need anyhting on a daily basis. Even the damsel has gone a week with no food from me. He will eat algae if he gets hungry. I just supplement his diet with some of the small freswhater pellet food that is designed for small newborn fish (It is called first bites). He eats some and the corals get some as they fall.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: