• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to. Different species of African cichlids, mostly the rarer mbuna varieties bred from wild parents right out of the lake.
I didn't make much, as everything was in a single 180 gallon. About a 150 fish. I would strip females of eggs every week or so.
Jim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bred killifish for a while, mostly for fun but I also did use it to subsidize the hobby. It didn't work that well due to the low birth rate of killi's. I did have a lot of luck with cichlids though. I got my hands on a few really healthy long finned german blue rams (macrogeophagus ramirezii) that were so cute they looked like anime fish. They bred quite easy enough and I sold the grown-out juvies to a few local stores and some local fellow aqua nerds.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep they do.

where do you think they get all those goldfish for the state fair carnival games? large goldfish farms.

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, if you wanna make a quick buck heres some fish that really make money, if you can breed em that is.

1) rare L number plecs (a real beardy favorate and some can be quite expensive)

2) Rare Corydoras, if you got 200 of em, £15 a pop can be really attractive

3) Killifish (sell eggs, fry, egg seeded pete)

4) Discus (yea, you and who's army, go for it, if your brave enough to take on the big boys)

5) Cardinal tetra's (easy peasy, and breed like wildfire in the right situation)

just a few ive met people who have had some success with.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Mouse, a couple of the L plecos will really bring you in and the cardinals go with the Wal-mart approach. High volume, low, easy cost.
Killys are also good, if you find the right market your golden, however they are a bit more difficult to attract with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: