• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

postie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HUGE bristleworm in my 90-gallon reef. I had posted about it some time ago giving it's size as about 1 1/2 feet long and 3/4" wide. That was several months ago and it has certainly grown, more in width than length. Something very strange occured with this worm. I am having to be out of town due to illness and therefore am traveling back home from time to time to do water changes, maintenance, etc. Someone else is caring for the tank while I am away (feeding, etc.). I have just returned from checking on the tank and doing a small water change. I did no other maintenance at the time. Immediately following the water change, the large worm seemed upset. He would curl around the rock and stick either his head or tail (couldn't tell which) in the water column and squirt out a very large amount of white, milky fluid. It was stringy and floated throughout the tank, making it even more cloudy than from the water change and this occured about 5-7 times in a row. There was a LOT of "stuff".

What on earth did this large bristleworm release? Do they release any types of toxins? Was this a defense mechanism? Is this a particular type of bristleworm? Any opinions welcome.
icon_smile.gif

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be that this was sexual activity. However, I'll leave a final conclusion to any segmented worm experts on the board.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would depend on the family that your bristleworm belongs to. Some families of bristleworms reproduce only asexually, others release gametes which are fertilized eggs that are developed in specific segments of the worm. These gametes develope into what are called trochophore larvae that float around in the water and depending on the species of worm after a matter of hours to a couple of weeks they will sink to the substrate and undergo a metamorphisis and develope into adult worms.
In short I believe you saw a release of gametes and your other critters in the tank are enjoying the meal, though you'll probably a have a few more bristleworms shortly.

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: