ufans

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75gal with 4x65watt PC lighting. Is that enough to keep a BTA?

I have live rock that would allow the BTA to be kept at the tank's mid-line, but that is assuming that it will attach there.

I have two maroon clownfish....and like everyone... would like a anemone to give them a nice home. :)

Thanks in advance !

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think that thats a little low. I would think about MH before adding an anemone, or throw a couple more pc bublbs under there. 2 more 65 watt pcs will bring you to over 5 watts per gallon.

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue is that even if its enough light with feeding to keep the anemone alive, it will expand GREATLY reaching to get more light exposure. BTAs can readily expand to 18" when large as it is, but under lower light, will expand even further. It will basically acquire an entire section of your 75g tank.

Wade

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW- The watts/gallon rule is a nonsensical denomination that is basically useless. The amount of PAR or other radiation produced at each depth is more relevant.

Wade

bello0110

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wade I agree, It should be enough light... makes sure you pick a larger one if possible, Ive had better luck. Ive had a rose BTA under PCs for over 2 years now. Also make sure you have some good rock ledges directly under the bulbs.

jbf16falcon

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think watts per gallon is a vague term but it puts people in the ballpark. I've run a cloning production tank of RBTA's for 10 years now and have played with the lighting over BTA's for about 13 years. I used MH and VHO's during these years. I have settled back on VHO's due to production value. My production tank is 180 gal with a 20 gal sump. I have 1000 watts of VHO's on the tank; 5 three foot URI's on each side. Each side has one 03, three aquasuns and a 50/50. I played with the combinations over several years and this one worked best for my tank. Tank depth is 19" to the sand floor and the RBTA's are spread out at various depths. That gives me about 5.5 watts per gal of the light type indicated above. I was able to keep RBTA's alive at much lower levels but not thriving as they do now.
[/img]

All said you just have to experiment to find what works best for you.

jbf16falcon

Attachments

• Sept10-2005a.jpg
    Sept10-2005a.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3,158

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: