A

Anonymous

Do MH's raise the water temp so much that a chiller is a must? I've been told that if you have MH's you have to get a chiller. I live in texas so it does get hot outside but inside it stays around 76-78.

I would get MH's but I don't want to spend even more money on a chiller.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Snaphook (edited 06 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I live in Dallas and Have 2x250 watt with 110 of PC on a 75g and I do not use a chiller. I use cooling fans only. The evaporation keeps the water temp constant at 80-82.5. In the summer My Aquacontroller will occasionally shut down a light for a while if the temp is over 82.5. It really is a matter of preference

------------------
Derek
[email protected]
http://www.homestead.com/dreef/Index.html

A

Anonymous

Derekd.....How high above the water are the lights above the water?

Does anybody else have an option?

A

Anonymous

I agree with the above posts. I live in Dallas and actually have trouble keeping my tank warm enough with my fan running (4.5" 110 V box fan). If I leave the water uncovered the temp will drop to 72 F. I'm therefore forced to use a lid to keep the temp up.

The only side effect of the 110 V fans is 1) they sound like a turbine when they start up in the morning and 2) they sound like a turbine while they're running in your living room the rest of the day. Probably with sufficient ducting (I understand dryer ducting works well) you could silence this problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: