I recently just started my 65g aquarium, and in setting it up, bought 70lbs of cured live rock (also 40lbs of uncured), as well as a big old bucket of gravel and crushed coral and also 60lbs of live sand. These guys (as well as the hermit crabs and dusters in my other posts) all arrived on the cured stuff. No idea what type of clams these are, or even if they are clams. When I noticed them last week, they looked like mussels on the hull of a boat, but they're looking much more clam-like now. If their colour stays as it is, I hope they get to be a good size, they're good looking. My ammonia/nitrites/nitrates were all up initially, but have dropped to zero. I'm told they might spike again, but these guys made it through the first time, so I'm hopeful they'll endure.
edit: you might notice in "clam1", there's a small nub to the left of the clam (or whatever), it appears to be another of the same but much younger, it's just this angle is looking straight down on it.

Attachments

• clam1.jpg
    clam1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 932
  • clam2.jpg
    clam2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 953
A

Anonymous

Those look to be little rock-boring clams, sorry can't give youa better ID than that and IME they don't get big like the other species.

Thanks Lawdawg. I noticed on the dead coral one of them is on, there is evidence of other clams having been there, and none of the remnants look much bigger then these ones are. Still, cool little guys.

A

Anonymous

It's a bit hard to narrow it down much beyond bivalve probably. :P

A

Anonymous

That might be a worthless, less than valuable, or even mean answer, probably.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: