• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tread because in my searching to find information on particular butterflyfish ribbon eels etc, I came across some LFS who themselves restrict fish. It is no coincidence that these are by and large the same fish that we are discussing.
Someone questioned Fenner who has been in the industry for 30 years and has seen everything.
If some LFS restrict fish that confirms his own experience.
He is one Aquatics Unlimited (a wholesaler??
My paraphrase. There are rare reports of success with these fish but most are doomed to a short life. see http://bestfish.com/articles.html
The fish that this LFS says to avoid are the ribbon eels,butterflys listed, rock and regal angelfish, cleaner wrasse parrotfish except the bicolour, batfish purpletile fish and sweeetlips.
Basically the fish that are under discussions.
I would suggest that this LFS has had the same experience that Fenner Tullock and others.

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great link Naesco.

I liked Tank Raised Fish

a whole lot.

It's all about TR fish.
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Supporting Breeders: In order to encourage breeders to produce more and better specimens of more and more species, we need to show them a healthy market for their merchandise. Unfortunately, to date we have not done so, and several breeders have had to give up the business. With increasing legislation and loss of vitality of some collecting areas, captive-raised animals may well be the whole future of the marine hobby someday. How we support these breeders now will determine how rewarding our hobby will be then.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: MandarinFish ]</p>

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another one; The Pet Stop which can be found under http://thepetstop.com/info/restricted.htm

This LFS says the species (similar ones on our list) are extremely difficult to keep alive and unles youare an expert or have lots of money DO NOT BUY THEM.

It is more than a conincidence that we now have 2 or three LFS that agree with our list.

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naesco,

Keep in mind that these companies are still importing oodles of these animals. They're just saying "We won't guarantee you'll get them alive". Big difference from "We won't import them".

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: