ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey guys the other day i decided to break the piece of tonga my yuma was on because of its size. in the process i found a spawn of either a goniopora or an alveopora at first i thought it was an encrusting montipora. its the size of the first digit on a pinky finger. the thing is i need some help on how to feed it as i only know that usually in captivity a goniopora will bud and drop a piece. its polyps are so small and i dont know what it could eat. this is where i need ur help if u can. right now i have oyster eggs will this work. or should i start blending some baby food?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Count the tentacles on a polyp. 24 means it's a goniopora, while 12 means it's an alveopora. Any other number means you need to post a picture or give a better description.

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Congrats on the "freebie" hitch-hiker!

You may need to feed it phytoplankton. Do a search on both and it'll help you narrow down the identification and feeding.

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i have a goniopora but hes huge the biggest thing in my tank. deanos i tried counting and got 11 or 12. its tricky but also between those tentacles there are seem to be smaller ones but i could be wrong. ill try when i get home. also the polyps mouths are literally smaller than the period in this sentence. i mean i havent really seen small polyps like this they are small. any other suggestions.

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
thanks but hey guys any advice. i really would like this coral to survive and since my tank is fairly new this would be a pretty cool experience. ok i have narrowed it down to possibly an alveopora spawn and its super small. if any1 can give me suggestions on what to feed it i would greatly appreciate it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
do the tentacles protrude from the skeleton pretty far or are they more flush? Porites is the most frequent tag along I see on shipped corals and it is easily confused with montipora to the untrained eye. The porites usually range from a yellowy mustard color to a greenish mustard color and it is encrusting much like the porites found on XMas tree worm rocks. Any pics you can get would help a lot with the ID.

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
they do protrude i will try to take pics later. but could possibly be porites although the arms do protrude far out and i even noticed acrospheres on the tentacle tips since this mourning. ok guys no more guessing i need to know if someone knows what it can eat please.thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: