• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

T

tuckernotis

We are divers in the gulf of Mexico off Louisiana. My husband is interested in collecting some fish and especially invertebrates from the platforms for use in aquariums. I have found reference in one MMS document on reefs and diving that suggests it is legal to collect non protected species from these structures. Does anyone know otherwise? Also, if we do, is there literature or an article on collecting in the wild and keeping them viable? Thinking about putting them in the live well on the boat.

A

Anonymous

You'd have to contact your local department of fish and game to be absolutely certain of current laws.

As for literature online for collecting, etc., I can only point you towards http://www.wetwebmedia.com - use our homepage's Google bar and search on "collecting".

Be sure to quarantine all animals you collect before adding them to your display as well. 30 days disease free is a minimum standard protocol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: