• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Eboman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...I put up a post a couple of days ago about my VHO bulbs not working. I assumed it was a bad ballast, since I replaced the bulbs a few months ago.

Here's the problem. I can get the bulbs to light by actually touching them...as soon as I grab one, they light right up. Today, it isn't working. Then I accidentally touched the tank water while touching the bulb and got shocked (as in electricity). This can't be a good thing.

Anyhow.....are VHO bulbs supposed to be grounded? I have the ballast grounded, but I'm not sure if I need to ground the bulbs too. I've been running this setup for a few years with no problems (until last week).

Your help is appreciated.

P.S. If so, how do I ground the bulbs.

Thanks,
Eboman

geofloors

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bulb pins are not in the end caps correctly. I had a similar problem in the past. Or it could be that the bulbs have some salt spray on them and the current from the endcaps is traveling around the bulb instead of through it. The path of least resistance is the way electricity always travels. As long as there is some kind of resistance the ballast should not fry. No the bulbs don't have to be grounded.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: