SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, who has a drain that is ABOVE sump water level and who has one that is below?

What are the pros and cons of each... if it matters at all?

B

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially my drains are below water level to limit splashing, salt creep and noise.

Since then I've put filter socks over both drains and placed in a bubble tower (container with top higher than sump water level and small holes drilled in bottom sides). No splashing and really limits the bubbles that get out.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is right at the water line. No drop and a gap to let it breathe.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium drains into the bottom of my sump. It does gurgle a bit, but it doesn't matter to me since my tank is a built-in and it is perfectly silent in the family room. The fish room itself is very loud but the gurgling is hardly noticable because of the pumps, fans, drains, etc.

Louey

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I end mine an inch below water level and use a T on the line above the water level about an inch. The T allows the air to escape preventing back pressure and the below water line return makes it quite.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My three drains are an inch below my water line. I never knew back pressure was an issue. I find that my skimmer intake is louder than all three of my drains put together. Still nothing compared to the pumps and fans though. It all adds up to make nice loud tank room.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: