• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Corwyn

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Group,

I am in the process of stocking my new 180G tank.
One of the things I've decided to do with this tank is to pick
only show quality stuff. Nothing ordinary.

With tis comes one major concern and that is the discussion about
died corals. While I would like to get unusual and extra ordinary
corals I do not want artifical!

A few people have recommended that I look at Cquarium.com and in
deed they constantly show pieces in unusual color morphs and one of a kind pieces. But I can't help but wonder how it is that this is the only store where you see these colors available.

How can you tell whether this is infact a rare color morph or if it's just been dyed?

Has any one ordered anything from them? Do the colors actually look that way live? How are the corals doinf (long term 6 months+)

Corwyn

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that they get most of their corals from Walt Smith, whose corals are very colorful and not dyed. The display of W. Smith's corals at MACNA this year was quite special. The same is true of Harbor Aquatic's corals. Do keep in mind however that corals appear differently under different types of lighting.

Adam/Cquarium

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your input on this subject. I totally assure you that our corals are 100% natural and in no way are dyed... Not even digitally brushed...The only 2 things we do to our pictures (when necessary) is:

1. dim or bright them.
2. Sharp or smoth them

I personally take the pictures and I take my time doing that since I like photography anyway.

With all the respect to Walt smith's corals, we don't get our corals from him. Almost all of our corals with the exception to some Acropora corals are not even related to Indo-Pacific area (Fiji, Tonga). The variety of LPS corals that come from Walt smith or Fiji/Tonga are limited to the following:

Lobophyllia
Gonistrea
Platygyra
Favia/Favites
Turbinaria
Tubipora (Organ Pipe)
Calustrea (sometimes)
Fungia
Some Zoanthias
Sinulara Rasta (Flexible sp?)
Mushrooms (some bullseye & green)
And may be a couple more that I missed.

For some reason, the LPS from that area are not vivid or intensely colored as much as the SPS.

I use 3 different suppliers which I have been dealing with more than 8 years. My suppliers do their best cherry picking for me and they surprise me with odd corals every single shipment. However, that comes with a price of course which is reflected in higher cost.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

Adam Atassi
www.cquarium.com

delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry is right when he says that corals will appear differently under various types of lighting, as most know. Digital cameras are also not all the same, some will give warmer images than others, some produce more saturated images that others and depending on the lighting used to take the pictures, white balancing the camera will give various other effects.

Finally, many of the pastel coloured Acropora (almost neon day-glo) that have come in over the last year or two were bleached corals, what you see are the coral pigments revealed by the absensce of zooxanthellae.

That is not to say all the corals you see on websites are the result of any or all of the above, these are just possibilities you need to be aware of when purchasing corals online as.

I have never seen Adam's corals nor purchased them, so obviously I can't comment on his website colours, but I have no reason to believe he is being deceptive in anyway. If he were, there would certainly be a lot of disgruntled people out there and you would hear about on the boards I am sure. :)

Aloha!
JCD

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: