Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the Market for a new pair of clowns. I want clowns that will commonly accept a wide variety of hosts and be relatively easy to mate and spawn.

I would like suggestions from more experienced folks than myself of the most likely clowns to breed in captivity. What would the Amphirion yearbook say? "Most likely to breed?" "Most likely to change sex?"

The set-up is good and healthy, Theres a nice plate Coral, Sarcophytons, Pipe organ, mushrooms, and a condylictus (I don't know what to do with) living in there.. So plenty of potential alternative hosts.... plenty of rock work, a Mellow Yellow tang who seems friendly enough (has been over the past few months anyway)

I don't necessarily want to raise the fry right now, but If I decide to try it later, I would like to be able to. I know some Clowns are harder to grow out than others...

Help?

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. ocellaris hands down.

Captive raised always take a bit longer to host, but they usually do given a while. They are fastest growing, easy to breed/culture, and look good.

Wade

Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isn't there a happy medium?

ocellaris sound so REALLY great except their hit/miss track record with hosting.

The only other fish will be a yellow Tang, I was also hoping for a pair that may grow a bit bigger. Isn't there a bit more reliable clown for host, but still breeds in captivity with relative ease?

It would be a bummer to have a great pair of ocellaris then have them never host in any of the corals etc... One post I saw someone had a pair for 2 years before they hosted anything.

(sigh) I'm at a loss... I REALLY love these personable type fish, have plenty of room for them in a nice healthy tank with plenty of live Mysis swimming about....

I just want the right ones for me.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sprattoo,

If you're going to buy captive-raised Oscellaris, you can give them a boost in the hosting department while they are in QT. I bought a fake latex anemone when I got my Oscellaris and put it in their 10g QT tank,,, there was nothing else in there so they got friendly with it really quick,,, I admit that I did 'guide' (i.e. chase) them into the anemone whenever I got the chance after the first couple of days.

When I put them in the display tank they headed straight for a bunch of big Rhodactis Mushrooms and have never left since,, they sleep in them, lieing on their side like hammocks.

Have you looked at the black (or 'Darwin') oscellaris? I think they're the best looking fish ever. I had a juvenile pair for a few months until one got popeye and died. I paired the remaining fish with a standard orange oscellaris and they hit it off immediately,, even though they're completely different colors they know they're the same species. I'm not sure what their fry will look like though but it's a nice unusual pairing.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 4,106

Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting idea. I have never seen a rubber anemone... or coral, or even considered it.

I like that black and white guy he IS purdy. So Maybe you have convinced me to give it a try.

Since I moved out some violent yellow tails though my 10G nano / QT possibility is shot as the Damsels live in it now...

I will just have to acclimate directly to my tank and hold my breathe.....
and currently I'm thinking it might be more stressful for me to have them live in my 'fuge then move again to the tank.

I think I'll take the gamble on the ocelleris.... and look 'specially for some black ones... rare around my parts though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: